20 minutes a day! That has been browbeaten into me ever since I was pregnant. Now, I love it and look forward to it. But at this busy time of year, it can be tough to carve out even 20 minutes. That’s why I love this Christmas book idea. It keeps the kids excited and engaged so we are less likely to miss out on our reading time.
I used the age recommendations for Christmas books that are listed on Amazon and tried to list a bunch from every age group. Not that I expect the 10-year-olds to read Dickens’ A Christmas Carol in one night, but I didn’t want to leave the older kids out.
I have added two printable calendars so that you can choose one. There are little pictures for the kids to cut out if you want to do that and tape one on each day. Or, you can just get a sheet of stickers and add a sticker for each day that you do it. Scroll down and you’ll see them.
Christmas Book Advent Calendar
Have you heard of the new trend of a Christmas book advent calendar? I love the idea! It will be such a great memory for your kids, it encourages literacy, and it’s something to do together rather than just a gift. I am going to write the name of each book on a slip of paper and put it in our regular advent calendar, and that is how we will choose which book to read each night.
I just received a new Scholastic book order from my son’s school, so now is the time to look at those $1 books that they sell. If you don’t want to invest in 24 or 25 books right now, you can always do 5 days this year, 10 days next year and so on. It’s not about getting a gift each day, it’s about spending time reading each day.
I also go to used book sales to help with this task. Even when you have 24 or 25 books for a Christmas advent calendar, you may want to update them. As kids grow, they may feel that some of the books are to babyish.
Christmas Books for Kids
All of these links should be clickable. I double checked all of them (for 2018 update) and they all were working.
Christmas Books for Toddlers
- The Polar Express: Chris Van Allsburg-Hardcover $12.90
- The Christmas Wish: Lori Evert-Hardcover $14.79
- Bear Stays Up for Christmas: Karma Wilson-Hardcover $8.99
- Christmas in the Manger by Nola Buck – $4.96
- Jesus, Me, and My Christmas Tree by Crystal Bowman-Board Book $5.41, Hardcover $6.29
Christmas Books for Preschoolers
- The Little Christmas Elf by Nikki Shannon Smith-Hardcover $3.59,Kindle $3.41
- The Soldiers’ Night Before Christmas by Christine Ford-Hardcover $7.23, Kindle $6.87
- Letters from Santa: A Christmas Alphabet by Katrina Streza-Paperback $6.65, Kindle $2.99
- Christmas Tree for Ruby-Paperback $3.59, Kindle $3.41
- I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Holly Hobbie – $6.29-Kindle $3.41
Christmas Books for Elementary Students
- The Night Before the Night Before Christmas by Natasha Wing – $3.59
- The Poky Little Puppy’s First Christmas by Justine Korman – $3.59
- Olivia Helps with Christmas by Ian Falconer-Hardback $14.90, Board Book $7.19, Kindle $6.83
- Why We Give Gifts at Christmas Time by Corine Hyman-Paperback $10.34, Kindle $4.99
- Olive, the Other Reindeer by Vivian Walsh-Hardcover $12.02, Kindle $3.99
Christmas books for Elementary Grades
- The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving by Jan & Mike Berenstain-Paperback $3.59, Kindle $1.99
- I Spy Christmas: A Book of Picture Riddles by Jean Marzollo – $12.59
- Merry Christmas, Curious George by Margret and H.A. Rey-Hardcover $8.99, Kindle $5.99
- A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z by Mary Engelbreit – $6.16
- Lalaloopsy: Christmas Magic by Lauren Cecil $4.31
- Merry Christmas, Splat by Rob Scotton – $8.87
- Santa Claus the World’s Number One Toy Expert by Marla Frazee-Paperback $6.16, Hardcover $14.11
- Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas by Walter Wick – $10.97
- An Otis Christmas: Loren Long-–Hardcover $14.30
- Going for the Christmas Tree: A True Story by Maryfran Stulginsky-Paperback $11.66, Kindle $3.99
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss-Hardcover $11.79, Kindle $3.99
- Fa La La by Leslie Patricelli-Board Book $6.29, Kindle $5.79
Christmas books for Teens and Tweens
- Pete the Cat Saves Christmas: James Dean, Hardcover $13.78
- The Christmas Quiet Book: Deborah Underwood–Hardcover $10.33
- A Christmas Carol: Charles Dickens–Hardcover $8.96
- Christmas Fun Mad Libs–Paperback only $3.59
Latest posts by Lisa Lightner
- The Special Education Placement Decision Making Process, explained. - November 20, 2019
- 35 “Fun” Names for Seclusion Rooms at Schools. - November 19, 2019
- What Parents Need to Know: IEP Testing and Evaluations| Re-evals | IEEs | Timelines - November 19, 2019