Lisa Lightner, Special Education Advocate
What I do here–share information and resources so that parents can make more informed decisions regarding your child with disabilities and their IEP.
To contact us, email us at IEP at ADayInOurShoes dot com
About Lisa Lightner:
- Epilepsy Foundation EPAC Member-Epilepsy Policy Advisory Committee; provides input on the Foundation’s annual policy agenda and position on new and/or complex issues.
- Parent Advocacy Council-Philadelphia Department of Public Health
- Professional Special Education Advocate, completion of COPAA Advanced Advocate Certificate, expected March 2020.
- Completed a 12-week certification course for Special Education Advocacy, 2011.
- Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health, Devereux Board of Trustees- Devereux Family Advisory Board
- COPAA, Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates, a member in good standing.
- 2012 Arc of Chester County Special Education Advocate of the year
- Board member for Pennsylvania Education for All Coalition, 2013-2015; Secretary/Executive Committee for 2014-2015
- Former Chairperson Chester County Right to Education Task Force, 3 years.
- Featured Speaker for Global Genes Rare Disease Day, 2020
- Participant/Member of Little Lobbyists, many lobbying visits.
- Have testified before PA State Special Education Funding Commission
- PA State Education Branch of NAACP on issues related to Disability Community, testified before the committee.
- Testified before PA State Senate Education Committee (3x).
- Parent Advisory Board, PA Education Voters.
- Worked with US Department of Justice on complaints related to PA and disabled children in AEDY programs.
- Former Board Member, Dup15Q Alliance (when it was IDEAS).
- Shot at Life Champion and Credentialed Lobbyist for UN Foundation.
- Fellow for Save the Children
- PTO President, Devereux CARES, 4 years, Secretary, 5 years.
- Former Instructor for county Adult Vocational Program.
As Seen In/On:
- OAR, the Organization for Autism Research
- Harvard Graduate School: Usable Knowledge
- Monthly contributor for MetroKids, over 100k total monthly circulation.
- NBC Philadelphia
- Pace University Law School
- Autism Parenting Magazine
- Philadelphia Family
- Fun and Function, Company devoted to celebrating the uniqueness of each child.
- The TODAY show community
- Times of Israel, Jewish Week.
- Parenting Children with Mental Health Challenges
- Everyday Hero
- Cult of Pedagogy
- Main Line Parent
- Parenting Special Needs
- Center on Technology and Disability
- Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health
- PrAACtical AAC
- Chester County Press
- Garforth Education
- Baltimore Times
- Weekly family newspaper column in Kennett Paper and Avon Grove Sun from 2010-2015.
- Monthly contributor to Grounded Parents, the parenting website of Skepchick, 2013-2015.
- Panel Speaker, PRA World Disease Day 2020
About the Blog and Podcast reach:
- Monthly Page Views: 500,000
- Monthly Listens-10,000
- Facebook Page-90,000, Facebook Group-50,000
- Personal Facebook Profile-2000 followers
- PA Parent to Parent, Peer Supporter 5+ years
- Epilepsy Foundation, EPAC Epilepsy Police Advisory Committee, 2021-2022, 2-year term; providing input on finalizing the Foundation’s annual policy agenda and perspective on the Foundation’s position on new and/or complex policy issues.
- Featured by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation “Impatient Optimists” blog
- EveryLife Foundation-Member of Rare Disease Community Congress
- Sesame Place-ambassador, 4 years
- National Constitution Center-Family Blog Ambassador, 2 years
- Longwood Gardens- Star Blogger/Ambassador, 2 years
- Netflix Stream Team ambassador program, 4 years
- Love, Hallmark blogger program, 3 years
- Ambassador for Oriental Trading Company
- Bloganthopy Finalist in 2012
- CBS3 as a “blog to watch” in 2011
- NBC10 one of “Philly Most Important Blogs” in 2011
- Nominated as Circle of Moms “Top Family Blogs” in 2013
- On the blog rolls of The Chester County Daily Local, The Delco Daily Times, The Kennett Paper
…”Professional Advocate extraordinaire…”
Accolades & Media Appearances
- Featured on PHL 17’s morning show “Eye Opener” in May of 2012.
- Featured on Ben 95.7’s “Real Mom Radio.”
- Named a DealPro in 2011 by Savings.com.
- I also spread the word as a founding Member of Mom Bloggers for Social Good, which began 1/1/12.
- In 2012, I was nominated as a finalist for the Bloganthropy awards and recognized at BlogHer in NYC.
- In October of 2012, I was chosen for the Global Team of 200, a highly specialized group of members of mom bloggers that concentrates on issues involving women and girls, children, world hunger and maternal health.
- Presented (or scheduled to present) at PodCamp East, Brain Recovery Project and numerous local conferences.
- I have also been published in Parenting Special Needs magazine.
Lisa Lightner-Other, email.
I live in southeastern Pennsylvania. It’s considered suburban Philadelphia by many and I love that city! However, I always say “I could walk to Delaware or Maryland if I had to” as I am close to both of those state lines. I live here in the heart of Mushroom Country (Yes, you do get used to the smell.) with my husband, two boys and two dogs.
You can email me at Lisa at ADayInOurShoes.com.