I want my son to increase his fine motor skills. I do not, however, want him to be able to unbuckle a seatbelt. When your disabled child acquires a new skill, sometimes it is a mixed blessing. Particularly if that new skill puts them in danger. They now have the fine motor skills to open a seat belt (yay!) but do not have the desire or behavioral skills to leave the seat belt on when the car is moving.
So what do you do?
As my friend Judi often says, you either teach the skill or accommodate the lack of skill.
In this case, I am making accommodations.
When Kevin was a baby, he didn’t have a natural curiosity that many babies and toddlers have. Or, he may have had the curiosity but not the motor planning skills to make it happen. We never had to even baby proof the house. My how times change!
Autism Safety and Emergency Plans
Several years ago, I was a Fellow for Save the Children. My role with them was to inform and encourage disability families to create an Emergency Plan. I don’t know why it hasn’t caught on, but it hasn’t. Still, I continue to education (read: nag!) parents about this.
We all worry about how to keep our kids safe. But when they have autism, are non-verbal or rely on others for mobility, our fears are exacerbated. Parents of disabled children need to develop safety plans, with much more urgency than our non-disabled peers. These plans should be based on how well your child can communicate, health needs, and sensory issues.
Having a family emergency plan is critical! It can help you to find your child if he/she goes missing. An emergency plan also serves to reunite you with your child in the event of a natural disaster or school shooting. The first step in your plan should be increasing awareness both in your child and the community. If your child is not verbal or would have trouble telling others that he or she is lost, a bracelet or other product can give adults helpful information. f your child is an eloper, make sure that all family, caregivers, and school staff know this. Talk with your neighbors and local police about your child’s tendency to wander and make sure that they have up to date information. Here in PA, we have the Premise Alert System (started by my friend Susan!). Many of our police departments recognize this, but it’s a great form to take to your local police and fire stations, even if you’re not in PA.Premise-Alert-Form
Teaching Autism Safety Skills
Have regular and frequent safety talks with your child. Many children with autism learn from repetition, so repeating rules and procedures may work for you. It’s important to be aware of comorbid conditions, so that information is presented in a way that doesn’t exacerbate conditions like anxiety.
Parents should do this on their own, and no rely on a school to make this happen. There are just too many issues with IEP non-compliance, and safety is too important of an issue. If your child is in a Life Skills Program or another non-traditional curriculum, it may be easier to get this added to the IEP. Regardless, parents should make sure that this happens and the only way to ensure that is if we do it.
I don’t know of any specialist or expert who does evaluations in this area. I think it’s going to all be on Mom and Dad. But you want to make sure that your child is safe in your car and on their ride to/from school. My bus company had to purchase a special seat for Kevin. And I know that they purchased a harness for another child. Like anything else, if you want it in your IEP, follow the process. Note it in parent concerns, discuss it at the IEP meeting, and then get it on a PWN.
Autism Car and Seatbelt Safety
Your child’s needs will determine what you purchase. Research what you can online. Ask your local police department or transportation department. You can find just about everything. There are seatbelt covers, stickers and decals for cars, harnesses, seat belt buckle covers and other products that disable door handles. You can also call the customer service number of your car manufacturer and ask if they have something.
Seat Belt Locking Clips
These are a necessity for a lot of kids. For some, just putting a lock over the seatbelt buckle will do the trick. But, some kids have the dexterity to get them open. In which case, you may want to try a harness that fastens in the back.
Make sure you practice using it. In the event of an emergency, you want to be able to release it quickly. Still, I believe most police officers and EMTs will tell you that a seatbelt is much more important than the risk of not being able to unbuckle it quickly.
Free Autism Safety Kit
Hopefully what I’ve shown you here will get you started on getting what you need. Thankfully most of these products are inexpensive. I know that the NAA offers a free kit for home safety, but I was unable to find a grant or free program for car safety.
Autism Safety Products
Have regular and frequent safety talks with your child. Many children with autism learn from repetition, so repeating rules, expectations, and plans can be beneficial. When you teach safety rules, make sure to list where to use the rules, such as school, the park, or a store. If your child likes to wander or likes to play in water, make sure to spend extra time talking about those safety rules.
Having a plan can help you to find your child if he or she is missing. The first step in your plan should be increasing awareness both in your child and those around him or her.
Have your child practice what to do if he or she is lost. If your child is not verbal or would have trouble telling others that he or she is lost, a bracelet or other product can give responders helpful information. Make sure your child practices how to show the product.
If your child tends to wander away, make sure that all family, caretakers, and school staff know of this pattern. Give them a plastic-coated card with your child’s name, current picture, diagnosis, emergency contact numbers, and what your child does and does not respond well to. Also talk to your neighbors and local police about your child’s tendency to wander and give them the same up-to-date information. Most police stations have systems, such as the PREMISE Alert System, where you can submit a file for your child with special needs and include important information for responders.
Water is another top safety concern. Check all gates, pool covers, toilet locks, and any other safety devices, especially if your child is drawn to water. When your child can start swimming lessons varies, but being able to swim independently is only one benefit of lessons. Children also learn basic water safety rules through early childhood swim programs. Many programs offer adaptive swim lessons for children with autism. These programs are a great way for your child to learn about water safely and comfortably.
Keep in mind that this list is their top sellers. This is also ‘bot-generated’ and updated based upon sales, not my personal opinion of the product.
- CHILD PROOF SAFETY DEVICE – Keep valuable belongings from young child proof sliding door or hung window with durable and effective lock. This kid stopper has been proven to withstand the pulls and tugs of babies and children, keep doors and windows opened in safe!
- SAFE DESIGN – Unlike other sliding glass door lock, this sliding door child lock is installed beside door shelf and works once double buttons pressed simultaneously, which stops the door slided and passed each other. This lock is off to press the locking cover for unlock condition!
- STRONG DURABILITY – Never worry about sliding window locks broken with high quality ABS plastic, stainless steel spring and strong 3m adhesive tap. The 3M window lock will not lose effectiveness or power even when you routinely open and shut your hung windows every day!
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION – Installing sliding door lock has never been this easy, no drilling tools needed! Simply clean the working area for this lock, peel off 3M tape and stick this device onto the desired location of sliding doors for your patio, closet, cabinet as well sliding window!
- DURABLE LASTING WORK - We know that patio glass door lock will work perfect. In case that you are not satisfied with this sliding door stopper, It is welcome to let us know any time and the helpful solution will be provided in 12 hours. A good safe gift for the kids to get great benefits!
- DURABLE FABRIC: Stain-resistant, water-resistant and easily spot cleaned with a damp cloth, you'll love sinking into the Dorm in SmartMax. The perfect choice for dorms, living rooms, play rooms, bedrooms and dens.
- DETAILS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE: This compact chair is double-stitched and has a drink holder, pocket, and handle so it can easily move to wherever you need to study, relax, read, game, watch TV, and more!
- PERFECTLY FILLED: Your new Big Joe will arrive filled with the exact right amount of fluffy lightweight beans to allow for a perfect sitting experience because over-filled bags are not comfy.
- REFILLABLE: Every well-loved bean bag compresses over time. Refill bags are sold separately so you can give your Big Joe a pick-me-up when needed.
- ABSURDLY AWESOME: All Big Joe products are designed and filled in the USA in a Zero Landfill Certified Facility. And, we donate a percentage of all profits to helping those in need.
- ❤PACKAGE❤This Autism Moms Keychain will come beautifully packaged in a elegant velvet cloth jewelry pouches, and ready for gift giving. The lucky receiver will love this special gift.
- ❤Autism Moms Awareness Gift❤This Autism Awareness Keychain with distinctive design①Hand engraved with -God Found Some of The Strongest Women And Made Them Autism Moms②Special Puzzle Piece Charm. When god closes a door, he opens a window and found some of the strong best women and make them Autism Moms.
- ❤Best Autism Mom Ever❤Autism Mom I'm proud of you. This Autism Mom keychain is the perfect as Autism awareness gift for Proud Autism moms and help raise awareness. Autism mom Birthday gifts, Christmas Gifts, Autism Teacher Gift Autism Month gift for mom.
- ❤Autism mom Jewelry❤I Love My mom with Autism-Autism Is Not A Disability It's Different Ability and Different is not less. Special as Autism Mom awareness Gifts, Autism Speaks gifts, Special Needs Autism Mom gifts, puzzle piece keychain gift for Autism mom, awareness ribbon.
- ❤Material&Size❤Stainless steel is a great choice for jewelry as it is hypoallergenic; it will not tarnish or change color and is very durable so this keychain suitable for treasure. Key chain Bar pendant length 1.97" width0.47"; Autism Moms keyring diameter: 0.78".
- 😴 CALM KIDS WITH SENSORY NEEDS - Create a serene sleeping environment for your child with special needs. This ocean light projector projects ocean waves that mesmerize them into a tranquil mood.
- 😴 CUSTOMIZE COLORS YOUR WAY - Set up this room light projector how you want it. Choose from 8 lighting and projection modes and let the light’s engaging moving motion create a peaceful atmosphere.
- 😴 RELAX THROUGH SOUNDS OF NATURE - Our night light with music comes built-in with 8 nature sounds for an even more calming vibe. Pair the projections with the sound of a brook, birds, or a campfire.
- 😴 VERSATILE NIGHT LAMP - This USB-powered sensory light has nifty functions. It plays music via Bluetooth, a TF card, or an AUX cable. It also has a timer and remote control for adjusting settings.
- 😴 ADD FLAIR TO YOUR BEDROOM - This ocean night light features our new 2021 projector design for a unique, modern appeal. Its sleek, egg-shaped black body matches well with any room aesthetic.
- MATERIAL: Silicone band and 316L Stainless Steel tag, corrosion resistant, high temperature resistant, waterproof, suitable for daily wear, outdoor or sport
- LONG LASTING ENGRAVING: All the information and symbols are laser-engraved, not print, the engrave information will last for a lifetime & won't fade
- ADJUSTABLE: Length from 6.30" to 8.25", so it can adjust into different sizes for men, women, boys or girls. Please make sure to check he wrist size of the person that will use the bracelet to make sure it fits.
- SHIPPING SERVICE: We are two working moms fully dedicated to make your orders so all of our items are customized and shipped within two days after the order is made. For a personalized product it is fast and since I am based in the US you will have your order with you in just a few days.
- USES: As mothers we know how important it is to feel safe with our children and family having their medical conditions visible. So these are perfect to use as a diabetic bracelet, allergy bracelet and medical bracelet for heart disease, epilepsy, autism, diabetes, metal life alert bracelet, medical bracelets for women, medical alert bracelet for men dvr and More.
- FREE SERVICE FOR 1st MONTH with easy activation on arrival. MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED - 39.99 per month with a 1 year contract & includes SIM card, unlimited tracking, 60 voice mins per month, premium safety features, & more | Risk Free 30 DAY 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE | Guardian Kit Includes: GPS Device with Speakerphone, Soft Wearable Sleeve, Non-Removable Fasteners, Parent Key, Unlimited Live US Customer Care Assistance | ACCURATE & RELIABLE Continuous, All Day, REAL-TIME GPS Tracking.
- SAFEST GPS TRACKER for autism, special needs & dementia - Only tracker with continuous all-day monitoring | Advanced Safeguard GPS for most accurate location - Know immediately if your loved one elopes & find them ASAP! ASSISTIVE SPEAKERPHONE: Talk to your child or listen in & make sure they’re ok - auto-answer for special needs, SOS call button to know when they need you. UNLIMITED Live Tracking, Customizable Geofence Safe Places, Guardians, Detailed Location & Transit History, & More.
- INTELLIGENT iALERTS - Only with AngelSense - Auto learns daily routine for alerts when potentially dangerous situations occur: Early Departure, Unexpected Places, Late Arrival, Late Departure. SAFE RIDE MONITORING: Live Route, Max Speed, ETA, Unexpected Delays & Stops - Know if they miss the bus, get off at the wrong stop, the bus breaks down, or got off the bus but didn’t go into school. Other GPS devices only provide alerts for preset geofences, we monitor your loved one anywhere & everywhere!
- EMERGENCY SEARCH TOOLS to quickly activate a search and rescue team, send a temporary live map link to First Responders, 911 dispatch, police officers, babysitter, neighbors, etc. See where you are in relation to your loved one and get directions. ALARM to hear where they are if hiding or lost in a crowd. WELL-BEING features like Step Counter, Listen-In, Location Activity Playback, etc. SCHOOL DASHBOARD for customization during school hours and limited access for teachers and school staff.
- EASY-TO-USE iOS, Android, or Windows App for mobile phones, tablets, laptop or desktop. Auto-detects & names places, fully customizable, add guardians & set permissions, turn on & off features, decide what alerts & notifications you want and how to get them (Push, Email & SMS). NON-REMOVABLE & SENSORY SENSITIVE WEARING SLEEVE INCLUDED - Optional Waterproof, Belt, & Undershirt available. Live Customer Care from USA experts who use AngelSense for their kids + a supportive special needs community!
- IMPROVES CORRECT HANDWRITING: This perfect pencil holder is specialized to give more control, reduce hand fatigue and will keep a good writing habit for a long time
- ERGONOMIC, COMFORTABLE AND FLEXIBLE: The special pencil grips are made of soft eco-friendly silicone, no-toxic, latex free, tasteless and 100% safe for children. Comfortable to hold helping to relief writing pain and discomfort
- SUITABLE FOR KIDS: Designed for kids who are learning to write or have difficult to hold pens and pencils. This training pencil helps to cultivate children’s interest in writing and let them improve and correct their hand writing posture
- SPECIAL DESIGN: These training pencil holders have two holes that can fix the thumb and index finger, allowing your child to hold their pencil the right way preventing skin irritation and blisters
- Appropriate for everyday use
- PLEASE MEASURE THE THICKNESS OF YOUR DOOR. Works on most hinged doors up to 1 3/8" thick, including interior and exterior doors, French doors and double doors. Works on doors with levers, knobs, and even large or uniquely shaped handles. Does NOT work on any type of sliding door on a track, such as bifold doors, pocket doors, sliding glass doors, or sliding decorative barn doors. Also does NOT work on metal door frames, patio screen doors, storm doors or double doors that swing BOTH ways.
- REQUIRES ONE SCREW (INCLUDED) TO BE DRILLED INTO YOUR DOOR FRAME. If you are installing on an exterior door that opens inward into your home, please note the screw will be drilled on the exterior/outside part of your door frame. The GlideLok has holes for the possible attachment of a hook or rod (NOT INCLUDED), which is helpful for especially tall doors / shorter adults. If you do not attach a rod, you must be able to reach the top of your door to slide the GlideLok back and forth.
- DURABLE METAL WON’T CRACK OR BEND LIKE CHEAP PLASTIC MODELS. GlideLok is the only top-of-door childproofing system of its kind made of high-quality painted metal, not flimsy plastic. So it will last you for years keeping toddlers from opening doors to unsafe areas in your home. The GlideLok makes your life easier and - most importantly - keeps your little ones safe.
- RESTS ON TOP OF THE DOOR SO KIDS CAN’T REACH IT. Unlike door knob covers or other door lever locks, the GlideLok sits on top of your door, so it’s completely out of reach and your child can’t dismantle it. It is also unobtrusive and blends in with your décor. Most people won’t even realize it’s there.
- ADULTS CAN CONVENIENTLY LOCK AND UNLOCK THE DOOR FROM BOTH SIDES. Unlike other types of door lever handle locks, you will not get trapped in a room while your child wanders around the house alone. Adults can operate this lock from both sides of the door. Also, if you don’t need it locked for a period of time, simply leave the GlideLok disengaged and you won’t have to unlock every time.
- ★Keep Your Child Safely Inside★ Baby Door Knob Safety Cover help keep your children safe by preventing little ones from opening doors or getting locked in a room and get injured. Safe is First.
- ★Simple & Easy to Install★ Baby Door Lock spins in child's hand. Adults can grasp through holes and open easily. No drill and tools need, no harm to the door. Take off the baby proof door knob covers then set them on the door knob and close the two covers, the toddler door knob cover is in lock.
- ★New Technology & Eco-Friendly★ Helps restrict access to out-of-bound & dangerous areas. It is easy for parents to secure doors with child safety door lock. Polypropylene fiber material, which is odorless, non-toxic, non-polluting.
- ★New & Efficient Design★ This door knob safety cover for kids of new structure & shape design makes this go with all your doors. It looks natural when installed on doors. You can relax knowing your home is truly baby proof to eliminate worrisome accidents.
- ★Fits Most Door Knobs★ Compatible with standard spherical doorknobs. The snap-on structure makes it difficult for children to break apart. Perfect for homes, families, kindergartens, day care, and schools.
- Sleep With Peace of Mind: Join millions of parents and trust Skyla helping create the safe, fun and warm home that you and your family deserve
- What You Get: 12 locks (2 keys) that come with the highest-grade 3M adhesive. The key works through up to 2 inch thick woods (density: 85 lb/ft3), meaning it can be used on any of home appliances and furniture
- Adult-Friendly Tech: childproof your home in an easier than never before manner. Skyla don’t want you to damage your furniture, Skyla wants your installation process to take seconds
- Why Parents Trust Us: Skyla is a known brand that strives to provide value. Rest assured we took care to make your life easier, not stressful
- Satisfaction Guarantee: Trusting Skyla never costs you a thing. If you are not 100% satisfied, we even let you keep the product. Yes, that's how much we stand by our product. Try us now
- EASY HAIRCUTS: The gentle alternative to buzzing clippers for individuals with sensory sensitivity. PATENTED
- 17 PCS: (1) Scissor, (7) Combs, (2) Comb Organizers, (4) Finger Inserts, (1) Haircut Guide, (1) Cape (1) Storage Bag.
- CHOOSE YOUR LENGTH: Includes 7 combs for cut lengths from 1/2 inch to 1 inch. MADE IN USA of Domestic and Imported Parts.
- CUSTOMIZE THE FIT, Choose: SNUG, with soft gel finger inserts, MEDIUM with thin smooth inserts or LOOSE with no inserts.
- 2yr refund/lifetime guarantee. We serve Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) Communities.
- 2 SHAPES - ROUND & SQUARE: Each set has 2 Packs Pop Fidget Sensory Toys. One is Circle Shape and the other is Square. You can choose the one you like and enjoy the game
- SAFE MATERIAL WITH GREAT DURABILITY: Made of non-toxic and environmental-friendly Silicone, our fidget toys are safe and durable. You can give your kids to play and you don't have to worry about the safety
- HOW TO PLAY: Press the bubbles in a line and the one who press the last one bubble will lose. Or just bend it, squish it and squeeze it! Help you or your children reduce anxiety and pressure, and build emotional stability
- USE THEM IN MANY WAYS: They are not only be used as toys, but also can be used as a fly pan for your pets, a place mat or a coaster. They are very easy to be cleaned and are dishwasher safe
- GREAT GIFT FOR STRESS RELIEF: This Set can be a great gift for your friends or your kids for stress relief. If you have any questions about the product, you are supported by our great after-sale support
More Autism Safety Resources:
- A Guide to Safety, from the Organization for Autism Research
- CHOP Safety Center
- Safety in the Home, from the Autism Society of America
- Philadelphia Police Premise Disability Form
- Chester County Premise Online Form
- General Premise Alert Form, approved in PA
- Premise Alert Form, Spanish
- Vacation Premise Alert Form
- PA Premise Alert FAQ
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.