Get ready to add a touch of Irish charm to your home this St. Patrick’s Day with a delightful and budget-friendly Dollar Tree St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin!
St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect occasion to embrace the festive spirit, and what better way to do so than with a sensory bin that’s fun for kids and a fantastic decorative addition to your celebrations?
This step-by-step tutorial will show you how to create an enchanting sensory bin using affordable Dollar Tree supplies.
So, let’s dive into this creative and easy project that will surely bring the luck of the Irish to your home decor this March 17th!
Supplies for a St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin
Most of what I list here can be found at a Dollar Tree or discount store.
- Rainbow Rice (see how to make below)
- Cotton Balls (on hand or Dollar Tree carries them)
- Gold and green plastic coins (mine carried them on St.Patrick’s Day, but sometimes they have them at other times of the year, many families use this because gelt is a Hanukkah activity item)
- Butterfly gemstones (Dollar Tree)
- Acrylic Gems (found in the floral section at Dollar Tree)
- Vase Filler (these look like tiny diamonds and found in the floral department)
- Mini white buckets (found in the wedding section at Dollar Tree)
If you don’t have a Dollar Tree, you can order from them online. I also have some Amazon ideas below.
How to Make a St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin
You can use regular rice, but I also have a tutorial on How to Make Rainbow Rice.
Here are some other ideas for St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bins.
- Package Inclusion: fine motor tools include 2 scissors clips in green and orange, 4 plastic tweezers in yellow and green, 60 plastic coins in yellow and green, 4 black mini witch buckets, 200 pom poms in yellow, orange, green, white, 6 beaded necklaces in green, yellow, and purple, and 160 foam stickers; The set is Ideal to promote little ones’ imaginative play and motor skills development
- Reliable and Suitable: the plastic scooper scissor is about 7.28 x 2.68 inches, plastic tweezers are about 4.17 x 0.55 x 0.79 inches, plastic coins are 1.38 inches in average diameter, mini plastic cauldron are about 2.76 x 1.97 inches, plush balls of about 0.79 inch in diameter are made of polyester, plastic beaded necklaces about 33 inches in length, and the glitter shamrock stickers of about 0.98 inch in diameter are made of felt, reliable and safe
- Counting Sorting Toys St. Patrick’s Day Decorations: you will receive 100 pcs St. Patrick’s Day pom poms in 4 green colors, 20 pcs Irish gold in gold and green color, 10 pcs green shamrock, 2 pcs of plastic tweezer, 5 pcs of sorting cups, 1 piece of storage bin with lid, 138 pieces in total, sufficient quantity to meet your use
- Material and Size: the counting Irish decorations are made of pom poms and acrylic, and the average diameter of pompom balls is about 2 cm/ 0.79 inch, the average diameter of Irish gold is about 3 cm/ 1.2 inch, the average diameter of green shamrock is about 3 cm/ 1.2 inch; The matching sorting cups are made of plastic material, each of which is about 13 x 3 cm/ 5.12 x 2.76 inch; The plastic kids tweezers are about 15 x 5.5 cm/ 5.9 x 2.17 inch; The plastic storage bin is about 18 x 12 x 6.2 cm/
- St. Patrick ‘s Day party decorations: you will receive 6 pieces candy cauldron kettles, 120 pieces lucky shamrock coins in gold and green color, and 1 pack shamrock confetti and 1 pack Irish leprechaun confetti, a whole set to meet your various decoration needs
- Black witch cauldrons kettles: made of durable plastic, the candy cauldron kettles are nice for holding shamrock coins and decorate your house, fill with coins or candy can make that not only cute table decorations, but also food containers
- Comprehensive Sensory Bin Filler Kit: these St. Patrick’s Day sensory bin fillers are a comprehensive kit that comes with 294 pieces; They include 80 clover decorations (4 style green colors), 200 plush balls in 4 colors, 8 sorting cups (yellow, light green, white, and dark green), 2 scissors clips in green, and 4 tweezers (yellow and green), making them a complete sensory bin filler kit that provides sufficient quantity for your little one to play
- Size and Material: the St. Patrick’s Day sensory bin tools are designed with suitable sizes that are ideal for little ones; The clovers are about 0.98 inches/ 2.5 cm (felt), plush balls are about 0.79 inches/ 2 cm (polyester), sorting cups are about 2.76 x 1.26 inches/ 7 x 3.2 cm (silicone), scissors clips are about 7.28 x 2.68 inches/ 18.5 x 6.8 cm (plastic), and tweezers are about 4.17 x 0.55 x 0.79 inches/ 10.6 x 1.4 x 2 cm (plastic); They are ideal for most hands to hold and manipulate
- NON-TOXIC: Sensory Rice cominbination is: Darker Green and Light Green. Also mixed in is gold colored dried pasta. Colored Rice is made with 100% natural ingredients. Non-toxic ingredients and made in the U.S. We are a small family owned business and take pride in creating kid’s items with children in mind. Different size options. Wooden Tray Not Included.
- CALMING ACTIVITY: Sensory bins provide a quiet activity to help children calm down and play independently. SENSORY PLAY: Sensory bins are a great addition to a child’s play as it gives children to use their imagination.
- Saint Patty’s Day decoration kit – 100 Pieces plastic coins (gold and green), and 1 oz/ 30g foil table confetti with luck of the Irish shamrock green Leaf clovers pattern, great value package to celebrate the St Patrick’s Day
- St Patrick’s style – The design of clover and the words of GET LUCKY on the coins fit for the St. Patrick’s Party themed birthday party event
St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin
Add all of the items and the rice to the bin and enjoy!
Are you looking for a festive and educational way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with your preschooler? Sensory bins are a fantastic tool for encouraging hand-eye coordination and exploration through play.
This guide will take you step-by-step through creating a St. Patrick’s Day sensory bin that is full of green, gold, and growing minds! Get ready for some sensory fun!
Creating a St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin
Get ready to create a fun and engaging St. Patrick’s Day sensory bin using materials like green split peas, themed toys, and other sensory items. Assembling the sensory bin will provide an opportunity for hands-on learning and creative play opportunities for kids of all ages.
Materials Needed for the Sensory Bin
For your St. Patrick’s Day sensory bin, gather various tactile materials to create an engaging experience. Start with a base of green split peas to emulate the lushness of an Irish landscape.
Add in gold coins and shamrocks for that festive touch, ensuring they’re large enough to be safe for little hands. Consider using plastic leprechauns or pots-of-gold toys as focal points for imaginative play.
Sprinkle in some measuring cups and spoons to encourage hand-eye coordination through scooping and pouring activities. Introduce different textures with soft felt clovers and rough burlap pieces cut into small patches.
These materials invite students of all ages to experiment with their sense of touch while developing fine motor skills essential for hands-on learning within a St. Patrick’s Day theme.
Assembling the St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin
Start by gathering a large plastic container and St. Patrick’s Day-themed items such as green- and gold-colored beans or rice, plastic coins, shamrocks, and small pots. Spread out the base material in the container to create a lush landscape for play.
Add in your chosen items while ensuring different textures and shapes are included for tactile exploration. Incorporate some scoops, spoons, or tongs for an extra fine motor challenge.
Next, introduce various containers to transfer the items back and forth using hands or tools. This will encourage sensory processing while developing hand-eye coordination.
Don’t forget to supervise closely to ensure safe play and prevent any potential choking hazards from smaller items.
Now it’s time to let your little ones dive into this exciting sensory bin world with endless opportunities for imaginative play alongside developing those vital early skills – all within a festive St. Patrick’s Day theme!
Playing and Learning with the Sensory Bin
After assembling the sensory bin, children can immerse themselves in a world of discovery and learning. They can engage in hands-on exploration, enhancing their tactile sense while exploring various textures such as green rice for a St. Patrick’s Day theme or gold coins for treasure hunting.
As they manipulate the materials, kids develop hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills through activities like scooping, pouring, and transferring items from one container to another.
Furthermore, sensory bins provide an avenue for imaginative play by creating stories and scenarios with the themed objects.
Other Ideas for a St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin
Enhance the sensory experience by adding gold coins, shamrocks, and rainbow-colored items to the bin. Incorporate different textures like green rice or split peas as a base for tactile exploration.
Introduce scents such as mint or vanilla to engage the sense of smell. Include tools like tweezers or tongs to work on fine motor skills while picking up small objects from the bin.
Encourage creativity with materials for building leprechaun traps, creating rainbows using colorful ribbons, or making clover-shaped imprints in playdough. Add storytelling elements with mini figurines depicting St. Patrick’s Day legends and tales associated with Ireland’s folklore.
Next, explore ways to link St. Patrick’s Day stories and myths within a sensory learning setting.
In conclusion, creating a St. Patrick’s Day sensory bin offers endless opportunities for sensory play and learning. Assemble the materials, engage in hands-on activities and watch as young children develop hand-eye coordination while entertained.
The holiday-themed sensory exploration provides entertainment and fosters learning experiences. With these ideas, you can easily create an engaging St. Patrick’s Day sensory bin for toddlers to enjoy.
1. What is a St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin?
A St. Patrick’s Day sensory bin is a hands-on learning activity that encourages sensory play with materials and items themed around Saint Patrick’s Day.
2. Why should I include a sensory bin in St. Patrick’s Day activities?
Including a sensory bin offers entertainment and helps develop hand-eye coordination through interactive activities specially designed for the St. Patrick’s Day theme.
3. Can creating a sensory bin be considered an educational activity?
Absolutely! Creating and exploring a sensory bin promotes hands-on learning, making it an excellent educational activity.
4. What materials do I need to make my St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin?
You’ll need various sensory materials such as colorful beads, shamrock shapes, gold coins, green rice or pasta, and other related entertaining objects that match the holiday theme.
5. Are any crafts involved in making this sensory play successful?
Yes! You can enhance your child’s experience by including easy-to-make Saint Patrick’s Day crafts within the bin for additional creative engagement and festive fun.
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.
Don’t miss the other resources we have on the site for St. Patrick’s Day.