Sensory Activities for Older Kids.
It often feels like when it comes to sensory activities, older kids get left out. Like their sensory needs just disappear when they are a tween or teen, right? No, they don’t! Light play activities are popular and beneficial for all.
But take a look around on the internet and it often seems like most of the light play activities are geared for toddlers and preschoolers. Let’s fix that. Light play activities for older children are important too.
Mind you, if a child enjoys an activity, I say let them enjoy it. I think that it’s fine for older kids to enjoy Sesame Street, Thomas or anything really. However, I always welcome the opportunity to encourage my child to enjoy things that are more age appropriate. And, even though I don’t have a problem with older kids liking younger-kid things, it doesn’t mean that they all necessarily like them.
9 Benefits of Light Play.
- Light play can fulfill a sensory need.
- It helps brighten a dark day, particularly in winter when days are shorter. We love this as a 4-5 pm activity with his home team.
- Often, the child can maintain focus longer.
- Light play can beneficial for many visual impairments such as CVI.
- It often has a calming effect.
- Who doesn’t love light play? It’s entertaining!
- Sensory and Light Play is very versatile.
- You can educating them, and they usually don’t know it.
- Light play can be used for multiple disciplines: sensory, science, language, fine motor skills, math, possibilities endless!
So, water beads, science experiments, planets, ice and oil experiments, I have rounded up 22 Light Play Activities for older kids. Many parents think that they are going to have to go out and invest in expensive equipment like a light table. Nope! Light play can be done with many items that you already have at home.
Light Play Activities for Older Kids
- Glow in the Dark Sand by Growing a Jeweled Rose
- Soda Bottle Lantern by Juggling with Kids
- Glowing Ice & Oil Experiment by Growing a Jeweled Rose
- Color Mixing with Light Refraction by De-Tout-Et-De-Rien
- Glowing Cloud Dough by Growing a Jeweled Rose
- Glowing Ice & Salt Experiment by Growing a Jeweled Rose
- Make Your Own Black Light Water Beads by Epic Childhood
- Glowing Rainbow Water by Growing a Jeweled Rose
- Window Art with Glue & Food Coloring by Still Parenting
- Oil Sun Catcher by Education
- DIY Big Lite Brite by Tinkerlab
- Glow in the Dark Sensory Alphabet by Still Playing School
- Glowing Eggs by Epic Childhood
- Glowing Dough by Lemon Lime Adventures
- Glowing Magic Milk Experiment by Learn Play Imagine
- Float or Sink Experiment on Light Table by I Should Be Mopping the Floor
- Push Light Planets by Play at Home Mom LLC
- Fractions with Pattern Blocks on Light Table by Still Playing School
- Rainbow Salt Writing Tray on Light Table by Where Imagination Grows
- Lava Lamp Sensory Bags by Growing a Jeweled Rose
- Glowing Rainbow Rice by Growing a Jeweled Rose
- What to do with Water Beads by Artful Parent
Latest posts by Lisa Lightner
- IEP School Refusal | Why it should be Number One Priority for All Schools. - January 19, 2020
- How to Not Cry at your IEP Meeting. - January 18, 2020
- Can a Weighted Blanket actually cause you Back and Hip Pain? - January 18, 2020