If you’re reading this, chances are you’re a special needs mom, and to a child who has enough seizures to warrant a helmet. We don’t have time to put together Pinterest-worthy costumes in our free time! What free time?
I am just so tired today, I have a bad foot….so when I looked in Kevin’s room and saw him relaxing with a book on his bed, I couldn’t resist laying down next to him. He’s wearing a Philadelphia Eagles jersey today, because it was my intent to take him with me to the Acme and they give you an extra 5% off if you wear Eagles gear. But my foot hurt too much to go, anyway….I was laying there, just thinking about things and it hit me.
Duh! Football players wear helmets. Right then I made a plan to get online at Oriental Trading and see what I could do to fix up his seizure helmet to match his jersey.
And as soon as I do…Halloween, done!
I found big sheets of felt, which I think with two-sided tape will do exactly what I want to do for the day. But, while I was perusing the Oriental Trading selection of costumes, I found a whole bunch of costumes that you could also include your seizure helmet.
I am not a huge DIY or crafty person, I need simple. And Oriental Trading has a bunch of simple and inexpensive costumes.
Here’s a quick list of ideas:
simple Halloween costumes to use your seizure helmet or wheelchair
- fire man-fire jacket or tee with badge, hose helmet
- construction worker-reflective vest, fake hammer
- astronaut-white suit, redo helmet
- football player-jersey or sweatshirt
- skateboarder-skater boy clothing
- race car driver/pit crew-race car/Nascar jacket or shirt, helmet, goggles
- school crossing guard-yellow helmet, stop sign, vest
- deep sea diver-dark green suit
- baseball player-baseball tee or jersey, helmet, bat
- hockey player-jersey, helmet, stick
- welder-fake welding gun, helmet with shield
- motocross racer-jersey, helmet, gloves
- cyclist-cycling jersey, water bottle, cycling gloves
- Harley Davidson enthusiast-Harley tee or black leather jacket, Harley sayings on helmet
- army/military-fake weapons(??), camo clothing
- miner-fasten a small LED light on helmet, dirt on face, pick
Here are some photos and descriptions to get your creative juices flowing. This doesn’t have to be hard–a baseball jersey with the seizure helmet crafted into a baseball helmet, maybe carry a bat if not too much trouble. Simple!
Race Car Drive Halloween costume
The theme of this one is actually “Speed Demon” hence the demon mask. But, I would just use the suit and make the helmet into a race car helmet.
Astronaut Halloween Costume
This one is my favorite. We’ve been obsessed with NASA since we went there two years ago.
If your child is a walker, they can use this astronaut backpack to hold their candy!
Again, I would just buy the suit and use our own seizure helmet, redecorated.
Fireman Halloween Costume
A real hose that squirts water! How cute! What a great part of a fireman costume.
And look at this DIY cardboard box fire truck you can get. This would be perfect with the helmet, and then fasten this around a wheelchair.
And the simplest one of them all…..
DIY super easy construction worker costume
This vest is only $5!!! on Oriental Trading.
The child can wear their own clothes, the $5 vest and make their helmet bright yellow. DONE. Make a stop sign out of cardboard, and this vest can also quickly become a school crossing guard. Simple!
I hope this helps. I love to browse Pinterest and look at all the great costumes. I just don’t have the time nor the ability to make them a reality. This, this I can do!
Pin it so you have it!
This post was done as a part of my participation on the Oriental Trading blog ambassador team. All opinions are my own.