Visual Schedules and Autism
How stressed out are you by daily routines? What about your kids? I mean, it’s something that we do, as a household, every.single.day. Why does it have to be so stressful? Most of us do not use visual schedules at home though many kids use them at school. These free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines might help make things easier.
Kids with autism may have more difficulty coping with unstructured time than other kids. They may benefit from the increased structure in their lives. Also, printable schedules can help a child with anxiety who is often fretting over “what is going to happen next.” A visual schedule helps them plan and prepare even if the next activity is non-preferred. Most of all, these visual schedules are free! I hope this makes your mornings easier.
What is a Visual Schedule?
From Wikipedia: Visual schedules use a series of pictures to communicate a series of activities or the steps of a specific activity. They are often used to help children understand and manage daily events in their lives. They can be created using pictures, photographs, or written words, depending upon the ability of the child.
I am going to try a few of these. My son has limited communication skills. We’ve never done this at home but I know he uses printable schedules at school. Sesame Street just launched some new Daily Routine Cards. I think I may try those first.
Benefits of using Visual Schedules
The advantages of using these free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines for children with autism are:
- help utilizes the individual’s visual strengths and therefore provides a receptive communication system to increase understanding
- It helps the individual to learn new things and broaden their interests
- It provides tools that allow the individual to use skills in a variety of settings
- predictability can help the individual remain calm and reduces inappropriate behaviors
- child can develop independence and resulting self-esteem
Tip for using these free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines: Look below, and definitely print the first one. Then find others that suit your needs and print that to use with number 1.
Reasons that Parents may not use Visual Schedules in the Home.
Despite these benefits, setting up a picture schedule can seem like a daunting, time-consuming task for many parents. Keep in mind that the schedule doesn’t have to be perfect.
Maybe you want to have your child browse these with you and help choose them. I also have included links to purchase schedules if you don’t want to make your own.
30 Reasons to Use Visual Schedules
- Help kids learn sight words.
- Better for kids who learn visually rather than auditory.
- Allow for independence-child can see what is coming next, rather than asking.
- Help some kids plan for transitions.
- They are evidence-based.
If you are still trying to get your school or your team use visual schedules, consider printing this out and sharing it with them.
Additionally, the time you invest in creating schedules now can save you time later correcting behaviors. Furthermore, it is also likely to save your son or daughter time by increasing their skills and independence.
But, in order to make it easier for you, I have found more than 30 free printable visual schedules. I numbered them so that if you share this post with your child’s team members, you’ll know which printable visual schedule you are talking about.
Daily Visual Schedules for Kids
- First,_next,_then_boards by Seomra Ranga
- Morning Routine printable by Laura’s Crafty Life
- Daily Routine Printables 2 by Get Snazzy
- Unknown Source (click to make bigger and print!)
- Printable Routine Cards by Childhood 101
- Morning routine printable schedule by From ABCs to ACTs
- Printable Daily Routine-getting dressed by Living Well with Autism
- Daily Bathroom Routine-Toileting
- Home and Daily Routine-night time
- Printable Morning Routine-including medications
- Printable Morning Routine-no meds
- Clothing Cards to use with morning routines by Do2Learn*
- Daily Routine Cards-Dressing and Undressing-use with morning and night time by Do2Learn*
- Organized Routine Printables by All Things Fee*
- Daily Routine Printables 4 by Priceless Parenting*
- Small Visual Schedule Printables by Living Well With Autism*
- Various Printable Schedule Cards by And Next Comes L*
- Huge List of Task Card Printables by Victories n’ Autism*
- Morning Visual Routine Printable Flash Cards by Living Locurto*
- Morning Schedule Printable by I Should Be Mopping the Floor*
- DIY Picture Chore Chart tutorial by My Name is Snickerdoodle*
- DIY Hanging Visual Schedule tutorial by How Does She*
- DIY Weekly Magnetic Visual Board with Printables by So You Think You’re Crafty
- Daily Visual Schedule for Kids Free Printable by Natural Beach Living
- Daily Activity and Task Cards by Victories N Autism
- 35 Widgit(T) symbols, 2 display boards and VELCRO Brand hook and loop to attach the symbols to the boards. Simply display the boards on your wall one beneath the other, and attach the symbols in the order in which those activities will happen in your day. This communicates to the user what is going to happen therefore reducing anxiety and bringing calm.
- Symbols included are: breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, drink, toilet, brush teeth, get dressed, brush hair, bath, shower, school, tidy up, car, homework, swimming, baseball, basketball, shopping, walk, story, bedtime, playground, pajamas, Grandparents, play, friends, club, watch T.V., wash face, home, medication, milk, phone, & tablet
- A great visual schedule for kids with autism, aspergers, adhd, down's syndrome and speech and language delay.
- Helps reduce stress and anxiety and brings calm by communicating to someone what is happening in their day.
- Run by a Mum and teacher, this routine chart is sold under licence from Widgit Symbols (C) Widgit Software 2002 -2020
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: (1) two-sided 18” tri-folding board, 72 2x2 Home-Themed Activity magnets, new headings and now comes with 36 star magnets for a complete solution to your daily and weekly visual schedule needs.
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD: start with small daily schedules and graduate to weekly views. Use the folding board and different headings to build the schedule that is perfect for your child's age
- READY-MADE: You’ve got everything you need to hang this board and start using it right away. It comes with a hanging nylon rope, 72 pre-cut, laminated, home theme activity magnets, 21 headings magnets and 36 stars.
- GAME CHANGER:Behavioral game changer for a strong-willed child, type A child, distracted or forgetful child, a child who prefers visual learning, a child with ADHD or a child on the Autism Spectrum
- EDUCATIONAL AND BEHAVIORAL: Your child will love this approach to learning, independence and behavioral expectations. The fun but clear pictures communicate on their level and at the same time put parents and child on the same page
- "EASY BUTTON" FOR PARENTS AT HOME: Making a visual schedule yourself can be frustrating. SchKIDules durable, magnetic icons are far superior to paper based versions, they are delivered ready to use so there is no work on your part, and they adhere to any magnetic surface so you have a clean slate to set up as many magnets as you want in whatever configuration fits your child’s developmental age.
- MULTIPLE SET UPS: The Deluxe Set's Heading sheet makes it possible to set up both daily and weekly calendars. You can create everything from Daily To Do Lists and Routine Teachers to Weekly Schedules and Responsibility Charts when your child’s ready
- BEHAVIORAL BENEFITS FROM VISUAL REINFORCEMENT: Use these magnets to help kids understand and remember what's next and what's expected. Toddlers, Visual learners, Kids with ADHD and some kids on the Autism Spectrum thrive on these visual supports
- EDUCATIONAL AND BEHAVIORAL: Your child will love this approach to learning and behavioral expectations. The fun but clear pictures communicate on their level and at the same time put parents and child on the same page
- LONG LASTING: SchKIDules magnets are a robust 35 mil quality thickness (same as car magnets), 2" x 2" in size, laminated with a dry erase friendly finish. Most importantly, they are MADE IN THE USA.
- ⭐Why Use Visual Schedules Everyone needs a schedule and children often rely on visuals to gather information to understand their daily task. If your child works well with a daily schedule as a pose of a weekly planner this schedule is perfect for you. Very simple and easy to use.
- 👨👩👦 BENEFIT OF A DAILY SCHEDULE: Childs day becomes predictable, which can ease anxiety and manage undesired behaviors. Makes abstract time concepts more concrete. With the ability to put the finished task in an all done box, children gain greater sense of gratification and completion. Encourages children to independently accomplish their daily tasks without constant verbal reminders. Motivates children to stay organized, builds self-esteem.
- 📚 This is a helpful learning tool for ANY child, particularly those in preschool, kindergarten and elementary school. The schedule is also very helpful for children with ASD, Autism, ADHD, and with special needs. It's perfect for displaying at home, home school, and centers.
- 🏆PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Each Kit comes with a handmade bendable schedule, 15 to 17 inch height x 5 inch width, 2 rough hook strip attached. Schedules are made with the best strong and durable materials, 110 lb. 17 point card stock paper laminated with 5mil sheet to protect each schedule. Each schedule has a removable ALL DONE CADDY. Each caddy box is high quality durable polypropylene box strong to store all your cards.
- 😁Each kit comes with an option to choose from 30 home theme activities, 60 Home & Chores cards, 90 Home, Chores, & School, 120 Home, Chores, School & Outings (See Product Description for a list of the visual cards that included). Each picture measures 1.5" x 1.5" standard size and are created easily to move around with soft coin attached on the back, corner kiss cut to prevent from "poking" themselves or others. Each Kit is handcrafted, assembled, and ready to use: NO NEED TO CUT OR LAMINATE.
WHAT DO WE WANT, AS PARENTS?
As parents we want the best for our children, we want to raise children who are happy, full of self confidence, responsible, able to make their own choices, and more. We chose our special organizational board in order to emphasize the development of independence, confidence, and abilities within our children. With this board you can direct, empower, and raise your children up, while creating a pleasant and fun-filled atmosphere at home.
DRY ERASE BOARD FOR GETTING READY IS FUN – a board for getting ready in the morning and a board for getting ready at night. These are very user-friendly boards that include four dry-erase markers (green, blue, black, and red) and a detailed guide including tips on how to work with children so that they can reach their full potential, and raise their self confidence and independence. These boards are suitable for children from age 2 and until they are bigger.
GETTING READY IS FUN KIT- filled with beautiful pictures, allows children to learn and perform their morning and night tasks on their own, without needing to be instructed by parents. The list of tasks on our board invites children to decide on their own which tasks they like to do when, and to mark off their tasks as they complete them. Our emphasis on their active part in this process lets the children take pride in what they have accomplished
THESE BOARDS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN- with difficulties with focusing and paying attention and autism.
LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK – We can’t wait to hear all about your success story! We know how frustrating it is to try to keep up, That’s why we offer our 100% satisfaction guarantee. if Healthyplan isn’t working for you, simply send it back for a full refund.
Visual Schedules for Preschoolers
Please don’t let the word “preschool” cloud your opinion of this. If my child needs a “preschool” chart when he’s 25, so be it. I don’t care much for age labels.
- Editable Visual Schedule-from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Magnetic What’s Up Weekly Board-from So You Think You’re Crafty
- Visual Schedule-from Panda Speech Therapy
- Visual Schedule Preschool Cards-from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Visual Schedule-from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Multi-Purpose Visual Schedule-from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Toddler Morning Visual Schedule-from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Visual Schedule for Toddlers by Teaching Mama
I hope that these free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines are helpful to you and your kids.
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.