Visual Schedules and Autism
How stressed out are you by daily routines? What about your kids? I mean, it’s something that we do, as a household, every.single.day. Why does it have to be so stressful?
Most of us do not use visual schedules at home though many kids use them at school. These free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines might help make things easier.
Kids with autism may have more difficulty coping with unstructured time than other kids. They may benefit from the increased structure in their lives.
Also, printable schedules can help a child with anxiety who is often fretting over “what is going to happen next.” A visual schedule helps them plan and prepare even if the next activity is non-preferred. Most of all, these visual schedules are free! I hope this makes your mornings easier.
What is a Visual Schedule?
Visual schedules use a series of pictures to communicate a series of activities or the steps of a specific activity. They are often used to help children understand and manage daily events in their lives. They can be created using pictures, photographs, or written words, depending upon the ability of the child. (that is from wikipedia)
I am going to try a few of these. My son has limited communication skills. We’ve never done this at home but I know he uses printable schedules at school. Sesame Street just launched some new Daily Routine Cards. I think I may try those first.
Are Picture Schedules just for Autistic Children?
No! Many children can benefit from using a visual schedule. Any child who is struggling to learn language, reading, and writing should consider using picture schedules instead.
Benefits of Using Visual Schedules
The advantages of using these free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines for children with autism are:
- help utilizes the individual’s visual strengths and therefore provides a receptive communication system to increase understanding
- It helps the individual to learn new things and broaden their interests
- It provides tools that allow the individual to use skills in a variety of settings
- predictability can help the individual remain calm and reduces inappropriate behaviors
- child can develop independence and resulting self-esteem
Visual Schedules in the Home
Despite these benefits, setting up a picture schedule can seem like a daunting, time-consuming task for many parents. Keep in mind that the schedule doesn’t have to be perfect.
Maybe you want to have your child browse these with you and help choose them. I also have included links to purchase schedules if you don’t want to make your own.
And here is another. More below!
Reasons to Use Visual Schedules
- Help kids learn sight words.
- Better for kids who learn visually rather than auditory.
- Allow for independence-child can see what is coming next, rather than asking.
- Help some kids plan for transitions.
- They are evidence-based.
If you are still trying to get your school or your team use visual schedules, consider printing this out and sharing it with them.
Additionally, the time you invest in creating schedules now can save you time later correcting behaviors. Furthermore, it is also likely to save your son or daughter time by increasing their skills and independence.
But, in order to make it easier for you, I have found lots of free printable visual schedules. I numbered them so that if you share this post with your child’s team members, you’ll know which printable visual schedule you are talking about.
Daily Visual Schedules for Kids
Please note that if the resource is posted with
strikethrough font, it means that the link went dead and I could not find a replacement. Sorry, but that’s what happens when a post is old, but popular! The other sites stop blogging or whatever…and then their content isn’t available.
- First,_next,_then_boards by Seomra Ranga
- Morning Routine printable by Laura’s Crafty Life
- Daily Routine Printables 2 by Get Snazzy
- Unknown Source (click to make bigger and print!)
- Printable Routine Cards by Childhood 101
- Morning routine printable schedule by From ABCs to ACTs
- Printable Daily Routine-getting dressed by Living Well with Autism
- Daily Bathroom Routine-Toileting
- Home and Daily Routine-night time
- Printable Morning Routine-including medications
- Printable Morning Routine-no meds
- How Are We Different - Our routine chores chart is designed with a double-sided felt board to provide more room for custom use of the child's daily activities,and we've increased the size of the board and cards to provide convenience for the child's use! No more worrying about receiving smaller items than expected! We've also added weekly cards and pointing arrow cards, and for the hand washing/toileting category cards we've increased its number!
- Easy To Use: Our handy chart makes it easy to manage daily activities for the entire day…and help kids transition from one activity to the next! Sturdy double side feltboard chart comes with 109 cards to schedule daily activities, including blank cards to customize for your homeschool and special classroom. Just stick up to cards at a time onto the chart…then slide the arrow to each new activity throughout the day!
- Useful Daily Activity Cards: The 109 unique schedule cards have pictures or icons for each subject, along with the word.Students who have trouble reading can learn their schedule by picture! .Flash cards with related to chore chart, outing activities, school, daily eating etc, those cards covers all aspects of life. With velcro clear pocket to store all your flash cards!
- Standing and Hanging: One is it can hang on the wall or other places as a kids visual schedule chart to use, another is it can be stand on the table as a felt teaching board to use. The schedule holder is durable, compact, and lightweight. Its a portable schedule that helps your students stay on track for their day and reduces confusion.
- Special Education Classroom Must Haves: Communication board for nonverbal kids, allowing them to express their feelings and what they want with visual cards!This toddler schedule chart has colorful hand-drawn illustrations and easy to read words to help your child stay focused and engaged throughout the day!Behavior chart perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kids with Autism and ADHD use.
- 【With 86 Visual Schedule Cards】80 cards are printed with various patterns related to chore chart, outing activities, school, daily eating etc, those cards covers all aspects of life. Other six topic cards can sort out daily tasks in the morning and evening, and visually show the progress of various tasks and order. It will make easier to teach children routine and responsibility
- 【Stand on the Tabletop & Hang on the Wall】This routine chart have 4 grommets on the top for easily hanging it vertically or sideways on the wall as a behavior chart for kids at home, or it can directly used as a tabletop teaching board
- 【With Detachable Bag to Hold Cards】The back of schedule blending board has a transparent detachable pocket to store all your flash cards, you don't need to worry about how to store the cards. Kids can also put the completed tasks cards into the bag to understand with what he’s done
- 【Communication Board for Autism】This daily toddler schedule chart is a perfect speech therapy materials for children with autism or special need, allowing them to express their feelings and what they want with visual cards, as well as to behave properly and communicate effectively with those around them, it is a perfect autism learning materials and communication tools
- 【Durable & safe】The schedule board are made of blending board, sturdy and not easy to deform, can be used for many years. The PVC flash cards is durable and waterproof, not easy to tear.
- 【Visual Schedule for Boys Girls】 Wooden visual timetable schedule include 85 pcs, 1 piece of wood responsibility board, 2 shelves, 4 organizer assembly pieces, 3 time cards, 70 printed square cards, 5 unprinted square cards. 70 cards are printed with various patterns related to chore chart, outing activities, routine etc. 5 unprinted cards to customize to your own needs. Visual schedule also have a couple doubles of activities like potty, wash hands and brush teeth for morning and evening.
- 【Schedule Board for Kids 3 4 5 6】 Visual schedule for 3 4 5 6 years old boys and girls is an appropriate tools for kids to learn at home, school, and classroom. Routine chart for kids can sort out daily schedule in the morning, afternoon and bedtime, and visually show the progress of various tasks and order. It will make easier to teach children routine and responsibility.
- 【Convenient Cards Holder and Storage Bag】 Our chores chart for Children has a cards holder and bag to store all you cards. For daily use, there is a shelf for easy access and storage. When not in use, you can use a storage bag for storage. This will keep your home neat and clean.
- 【Sturdy Wooden Visual Schedule for Toddlers】 The vision board made of natural wood with burr-free and rounded corner. Printed patterns are bright in color and will not fade, provides complete safety for your little ones.
- 【Learning Materials for Autism】 This daily routine chart for children is a perfect learning materials for children with autism or adhd, allowing them to do their chores on time, behave properly and be organized.
- ※【Perfect Learning Behavioral Planner】The visual schedule pocket chart is a perfect learning tool for teachers or parents,it can teach your kids to learn words and know objects, to better understand their daily behaviors. Attached visual routine cards for preschooler are serviceable for teachers to use in classrooms or parents can help children learn how to make their daily routine plans
- ※【Durable Safety Material】This visual wall planner chart boards is made of three layers of material, strong and not easy to deform, can be used for many times.the behavior cards are printed with non-toxic ink, smelless material that make the safer than others similar products.it have a durable thick waterproof coating, which are durable, waterproof and will not easy to tear or crease.
- ※【Stand on the Tabletop & Hang on the Wall 】The daily routine chart has 4 grommets at the top and bottom.it is easy to hanging it vertically or sideways on the wall and blackboard with a nylon rope as a kids visual schedule chart. It also can be folded at both ends and has adhesive strips at the back, which can be closed to used as a tabletop teaching felt board.
- ※【You Will Get】1 piece of visual wall planner chart boards. 92 pieces kids visual cards ( printed with various patterns relating to daily school-life and housework with phrases for students to learn).100 pcs self-adhesive small dot stickers (pasted and removed the cards).1 piece of nylon rope( strong and easy to hang ).1 Piece of PVC storage bag (store your all cards and dot stickers).
- ※【Communication Tool for Autism】This kids routine schedule chart can be a good helper learning material for children with autism, as well as a tool for learning and communication with special needs. It allows them to express their feelings and what they want by using visual cards, and conduct correct behaviors and effective communication with people around them.
- RELIABLE QUALITY: The visual Schedule for Kids are made of coated paper, which is strong, waterproof, not easy to tear and deformed, The cards are well cut and can be pasted and removed multiple times by using the included small dot stickers and felt strips
- 2 IN 1 FELT BOARD (Difference With Others): That's means it has two ways to use. One is it can hang on the wall or other places as a kids visual schedule chart to use, another is it can be stand on the table as a felt teaching board to use.
- EASY TO ATTRACT CHILDREN'S ATTENTION: 70 pieces visual schedule cards are printed with various patterns relating to daily school, home activities and behaviors, which can reflect many actions in our life and enrich your schedules, the bright colors and adorable designs can arouse children's interest. Those cards covers all aspects of life. Kids can put the completed tasks into the bag, they often rely on vision to gather information to understand their daily tasks
- EASY TO USE AND STORE ALL CARDS: The Visual Behavior Schedule chart with a suitable sized PVC bag to store your all cards. And The autism daily chore routine chart for kids have 4 grommets on the top and bottom for easy hang it sideways or vertically.or can stand on the table to use.
- PERFECT LEARNING TOOL: The Kids Visual Schedule Calendar Chart is also printed with words, and thus you can teach your kids to learn words and know objects, to better understand their daily behaviors, In addition, they are ideal communicative tools for autism kids. these routine cards for toddlers are useful teaching tools for teachers to use in classrooms, They can also be applied to homes, therefore, parents can help children learn how to formulate their daily plans
Visual Schedules for Preschoolers
Please don’t let the word “preschool” cloud your opinion of this. If my child needs a “preschool” chart when he’s 25, so be it. I don’t care much for age labels.
I hope that these free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines are helpful to you and your kids.
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.