Visual Schedules and Autism
How stressed out are you by daily routines? What about your kids? I mean, it’s something that we do, as a household, every.single.day. Why does it have to be so stressful?
Most of us do not use visual schedules at home though many kids use them at school. These free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines might help make things easier.
Kids with autism may have more difficulty coping with unstructured time than other kids. They may benefit from the increased structure in their lives.
Also, printable schedules can help a child with anxiety who is often fretting over “what is going to happen next.” A visual schedule helps them plan and prepare even if the next activity is non-preferred. Most of all, these visual schedules are free! I hope this makes your mornings easier.
What is a Visual Schedule?
Visual schedules use a series of pictures to communicate a series of activities or the steps of a specific activity. They are often used to help children understand and manage daily events in their lives. They can be created using pictures, photographs, or written words, depending upon the ability of the child. (that is from wikipedia)
I am going to try a few of these. My son has limited communication skills. We’ve never done this at home but I know he uses printable schedules at school. Sesame Street just launched some new Daily Routine Cards. I think I may try those first.
Are Picture Schedules just for Autistic Children?
No! Many children can benefit from using a visual schedule. Any child who is struggling to learn language, reading, and writing should consider using picture schedules instead.
Benefits of Using Visual Schedules
The advantages of using these free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines for children with autism are:
- help utilizes the individual’s visual strengths and therefore provides a receptive communication system to increase understanding
- It helps the individual to learn new things and broaden their interests
- It provides tools that allow the individual to use skills in a variety of settings
- predictability can help the individual remain calm and reduces inappropriate behaviors
- child can develop independence and resulting self-esteem
Visual Schedules in the Home
Despite these benefits, setting up a picture schedule can seem like a daunting, time-consuming task for many parents. Keep in mind that the schedule doesn’t have to be perfect.
Maybe you want to have your child browse these with you and help choose them. I also have included links to purchase schedules if you don’t want to make your own.
Let me explain how this template works. It’s on Canva, and it is FREE, however you will be required to get an account on Canva. Once you create an account (easy, just an email and a password, then verify your email), come back here and click the link to the template.
Once you do that, you will be prompted to make a copy of the template, so as not to alter the original. I also suggest you make another copy of that copy, so that you have a clean copy of the template in your Canva account.
Especially if you are new to Canva, don’t alter the clean copy. When you are tinkering and customizing the visual schedule, you may make mistakes that you cannot figure out.
Free Printable Visual Schedule Template for the Home is RIGHT HERE. You can preview it below. Each element is completely customizable so that you can change out the daily routines and activities of daily living that your child does.
Reasons to Use Visual Schedules
- Help kids learn sight words.
- Better for kids who learn visually rather than auditory.
- Allow for independence-child can see what is coming next, rather than asking.
- Help some kids plan for transitions.
- They are evidence-based.
If you are still trying to get your school or your team use visual schedules, consider printing this out and sharing it with them.
Additionally, the time you invest in creating schedules now can save you time later correcting behaviors. Furthermore, it is also likely to save your son or daughter time by increasing their skills and independence.
But, in order to make it easier for you, I have found lots of free printable visual schedules. I numbered them so that if you share this post with your child’s team members, you’ll know which printable visual schedule you are talking about.
Daily Visual Schedules for Kids
Please note that if the resource is posted with
strikethrough font, it means that the link went dead and I could not find a replacement. Sorry, but that’s what happens when a post is old, but popular! The other sites stop blogging or whatever…and then their content isn’t available.
- First,_next,_then_boards by Seomra Ranga
- Morning Routine printable by Laura’s Crafty Life
- Daily Routine Printables 2 by Get Snazzy
- Unknown Source (click to make bigger and print!)
- Printable Routine Cards by Childhood 101
- Morning routine printable schedule by From ABCs to ACTs
- Printable Daily Routine-getting dressed by Living Well with Autism
- Daily Bathroom Routine-Toileting
- Home and Daily Routine-night time
- Printable Morning Routine-including medications
- Printable Morning Routine-no meds
- EASY & INSTANT: Right out of the box you can try so many visual schedule set ups with your child to test which one achieves your behavioral goals
- MULTI-AGE PRODUCT: With our dual purpose board, 21 unique headings and activities magnets that span from simple routines to chores, this visual schedule offers many functions for multiple ages
- NO ASSEMBLY: You’ve got everything you need to start using a visual schedule with your child the minute it arrives; simply set up your design and hang it with the provided nylon rope
- BEHAVIORAL GAME CHANGER: A must have for parents with a strong-willed child, type-A child, distracted or forgetful child, visual learner, child with ADHD or on the Autism Spectrum
- INCLUDES: One 18” tri-folding, reversible, dry-erase magnetic board, 21 headings, 36 stars, and 72 home-themed laminated activity magnets for the easy setup of an instant visual schedule
- Schedule Board for Kids Set : you will receive 107 products, including 2 morning and evening signs and 45 cards with 1 background plastic strip, 56 small dots stickers and 2 felt strips, blue PVC box of suitable size, the number and combination is enough for your daily learning use; Reduce anxiety by helping your child develop daily routines and habits that help them with daily tasks and transitions
- Reliable Quality: these chore chart are made of coated paper, which is strong, waterproof, not easy to tear and deformed; The cards are well cut and can be pasted and removed multiple times by using the included small dot stickers and felt strips
- Practical and Useful: the kids schedule board for home set is made up of 45 different cards, including breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks, brushing teeth, taking a bath, going to school, cleaning, swimming, shopping, walking, stories, etc., can be applied to various aspects of life, can also be applied at home, at day care facilities, learning centers and other educational institutions
- A Wide Range of Use: these toddler schedule chart cards can be applied as a teacher's tool in class, but also can be bought as a good gift for children to develop good habits; This is a useful learning tool for child, especially those in preschool, kindergarten and elementary school
- What They Can Do: children are good at learning from visual sense; When they saw the picture on the schedule cards, they can focus their attention on the picture and followed the behavior shown there; It's useful for children to let them choose what they want to do with the cards and reduce their anxiety
- What You Will Receive: the package contains 5 pieces of schedule boards and 35 pieces of communication cards, equipped with 5 pieces of storage bags and 110 pieces of adhesive sticky strap dots for storage and fixation
- Show Your Routine: visual picture cards are designed into a variety of styles, including daily life, activities, actions and so on, which can express many works in our life and enrich your schedule
- Reliable to Use: our communication cards are made of quality PP material, which is strong and sturdy, waterproof, not easy to fade or break, and can accompany you for a long time; And these toddler routine charts are made of PVC material, not easy to break or deform, reliable and serviceable
- Multiple Usages: our picture cards are printed with clear cartoon pictures and words, which can be applied for teaching children to learn words and recognize objects, and help them better understand their daily behavior
- Widely Applied: our toddler schedule chart and picture cards are suitable to serve as educational props at school and community, and they can also be applied to families, so parents can help children learn how to make their daily plans
- Thoughtful Visual Schedule Combination: you will receive 60 pieces of picture cards, 3 pieces of back boards, 3 pieces of hook and loop fasteners and 60 pieces of white hook and loop dots, 126 pieces of items in total from the visual schedule for toddlers, enough for you to use
- Various Activities Cards: the picture schedule cards consist of 60 different motivations, including but not limited to phone, TV, breakfast, snacks, lunch, drinks, teeth brushing, bathing, school, cleaning and so on, enough to cover various aspects of time
- Applying for Lots of Occasions: the visual board for autism can be applied to a lot of occasions, such as home, kindergarten, preschool, primary school, junior high school and so on, to help kids form nice habits
- Practical Leaning Props: when kids see the pictures on the wall schedule board for kids, they will know their daily tasks on visual earlier, you can use them to make schedules for your kids, and the lovely pictures are easy to arouse their interests, helpful for them to complete tasks
- Serviceable and Reliable: the daily schedule board for kids and picture cards are mainly made of PVC, stable in structure, not easy to fade or deform, bright in color, light in weight, in exquisite workmanship, you can use them with ease and confidence
- INCLUDES: SchKIDules Deluxe Box Set features 132 home, school and special needs themed activity magnets plus 21 headings magnets. This Deluxe set caters to kids who may have more on their schedule than others, have added special education or IEP needs and for kids who could also benefit from the use of behavioral prompts.
- EASY TO USE: Easy for parents, fun for kids! Design multiple visual schedule set ups. The deluxe set's heading sheet makes it possible to set up both daily and weekly calendars. You can create everything from daily to-do lists and routine teachers to weekly schedules and responsibility charts when your child’s ready.
- BEHAVIORAL GAME CHANGER: Behavioral benefits with visual reinforcement. Use these magnets to help kids understand and remember what's next and what's expected. Kids are visual learners. Toddlers with ADHD and some kids on the autism spectrum thrive on these visual supports.
- EDUCATIONAL AND FUN: Visual educational and behavioral magnetic schedule for kids. Your child will love this approach to learning, independence and behavioral expectations. The fun but clear picture communicate on their level and at the same time put parents and child on the same page.
- LONG LASTING: SchKIDules magnets are a robust 35 mil quality thickness (same as car magnets), 2" x 2" in size, precut for your convenience, and laminated with a dry erase friendly finish. Most importantly, they are MADE IN THE USA.
Visual Schedules for Preschoolers
Please don’t let the word “preschool” cloud your opinion of this. If my child needs a “preschool” chart when he’s 25, so be it. I don’t care much for age labels.Visual-Schedule-Template
I hope that these free printable visual schedules for home and daily routines are helpful to you and your kids.
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.