15 Books about Siblings with Special Needs
I just recently started purchasing special needs sibling books for Brian. It started with the movie Wonder. We saw that last year and got all the Wonder books. Prior to that, I had purchased “Views from our Shoes” and used to read it to both of them. But it was only met with lukewarm enthusiasm. Wonder was much more inspiring for him.
We went through a really rough patch that had lasted more than a year. The disdain that he had for his brother was palpable at times. We tried counseling and working with teachers. Now we’re in a good spot, and I truly think that the books and movie had something to do with it. Something new I noticed recently is that Brian will draw my attention to something that is special needs related. Such as, “Mom, look. The Philadelphia Eagles went to visit a kid in a wheelchair.” Stuff like that. Human interest stories that he comes across.
I hope that some of these help your family, or maybe you don’t need the help. For a while, I was really concerned. Glad we are over that hump!
At the end of the year, I let him do a small scholastic book order for his summer reading books. While I was finishing out the order, it suggested “Rules” so I purchased that too. He enjoyed it. (featured below) Here are more than 20 suggestions for you, if you are looking for books that discuss having a sibling with a disability.
Books about Siblings with Special Needs/Disabilities
- We’ll Paint the Octopus Red || Hardcover $13.55
- My Brother is Special My Brother Has Autism || Paperback $10.50
- What About Me? A Book By and For an Autism Sibling || Kindle $2.99 | Paperback $9.99
- Sometimes || Kindle $5.98 | Paperback $8.99 | Hardback $14.99
- My Brother Sammy is Special || Kindle $9.99 | Hardcover $16.86
- My Brother is Special: A Cerebral Palsy Story || Kindle $4.95 | Paperback $15.95 | Hardcover $20.46
- Everybody is Different: A Book for Young People Who Have Brothers or Sisters With Autism || Paperback $11.70
- Special Brothers and Sisters: Stories and Tips for Siblings of Children with Special Needs, Disability or Serious Illness || Kindle $15.29 | Paperback $17.95
- Little Big Sister || Kindle $2.99 | Paperback $7.99
- My Sister is Special, My Sister Has Down Syndrome: A Story About Acceptance (Special Needs) || Paperback $10.50
- My Brother is Autistic (Let’s Talk About It Books) || Paperback $7.99
- Autism in My Family: A Journal for Siblings of Children with ASD || Paperback $15.83
- Brotherly Feelings: Me, My Emotions, and My Brother with Asperger’s Syndrome || Kindle $9.99 | Paperback $14.49
- Just Because || Kindle $7.01 | Paperback $9.78
- Oh Brother! Growing Up With a Special Needs Sibling || Paperback $8.53