Books for Siblings of Special Needs
I just recently started purchasing disability sibling books for Brian. It started with the movie Wonder. We saw that last year and got all the Wonder books. Prior to that, I had purchased “Views from our Shoes” and used to read it to both of them. But it was only met with lukewarm enthusiasm. Wonder was much more inspiring for him.
We went through a really rough patch that had lasted more than a year. The disdain that he had for his brother was palpable at times. We tried counseling and working with teachers. Now we’re in a good spot, and I truly think that the books and movie had something to do with it.
Siblings with Disabilities
Something new I noticed recently is that Brian will draw my attention to something that is disability related. Such as, “Mom, look. The Philadelphia Eagles went to visit a kid with a wheelchair.” Stuff like that. Human interest stories that he comes across.
At the end of the year, I let him do a small scholastic book order for his summer reading books. While I was finishing out the order, it suggested “Rules” so I purchased that too. It’s a book for siblings with autism. He enjoyed it. (featured below)
Teen Siblings with Disabilities
As I update this post, I realize that most of the books in the list are little kid books. So, I have put together a widget with books about having a special needs sibling, but for older kids.
I hope that some of these help your family, or maybe you don’t need the help. For a while, I was really concerned.
Books about Siblings with Disabilities
Here are more than 20 suggestions for you, if you are looking for books that discuss having a sibling with a disability.
- We’ll Paint the Octopus Red || Hardcover $13.55
- My Brother is Special My Brother Has Autism || Paperback $10.50
- What About Me? A Book By and For an Autism Sibling || Kindle $2.99 | Paperback $9.99
- Sometimes || Kindle $5.98 | Paperback $8.99 | Hardback $14.99
- My Brother Sammy is Special || Kindle $9.99 | Hardcover $16.86
- My Brother is Special: A Cerebral Palsy Story || Kindle $4.95 | Paperback $15.95 | Hardcover $20.46
- Everybody is Different: A Book for Young People Who Have Brothers or Sisters With Autism || Paperback $11.70
- Special Brothers and Sisters: Stories and Tips for Siblings of Children with Special Needs, Disability or Serious Illness || Kindle $15.29 | Paperback $17.95
- Little Big Sister || Kindle $2.99 | Paperback $7.99
- My Sister is Special, My Sister Has Down Syndrome: A Story About Acceptance (Special Needs) || Paperback $10.50
- My Brother is Autistic (Let’s Talk About It Books) || Paperback $7.99
- Autism in My Family: A Journal for Siblings of Children with ASD || Paperback $15.83
- Brotherly Feelings: Me, My Emotions, and My Brother with Asperger’s Syndrome || Kindle $9.99 | Paperback $14.49
- Just Because || Kindle $7.01 | Paperback $9.78
- Oh Brother! Growing Up With a Special Needs Sibling || Paperback $8.53
Latest posts by Lisa Lightner
- The Special Education Placement Decision Making Process, explained. - November 20, 2019
- 35 “Fun” Names for Seclusion Rooms at Schools. - November 19, 2019
- What Parents Need to Know: IEP Testing and Evaluations| Re-evals | IEEs | Timelines - November 19, 2019