Apps for Executive Functioning
After preparing this blog post, I plan to go back to the Google Play store and get some of these apps for myself. I can be scatterbrained, and stress makes it worse. And now having two kids, with their own schedules and sets of things to remember, it’s no wonder I feel like my brain is too full.
I tend to be an old-fashioned, pen and paper gal, and only this year traded in my paper planner for Google Calendar. I have just fallen in love with the syncing features. If you or your child/student struggles with some executive functioning skills, here are some apps that might help them.
- Alarmed-The awesome reminder + timer app that is alarmingly great!
- Google Calendar-Get the official Google Calendar app for your Android phone and tablet to save time and make the most of every day.
- 2Do-2Do lets you take a completely different approach to managing your tasks. With its extremely simple-to-use interface and a comprehensive and flexible set of powerful features, it lets you focus on what’s most important to you: your life. There is no wrong way of using 2Do, and unlike other to-do apps, it won’t force you in adhering to a particular task management methodology.
- The Nudge -A quick note to remember something for tomorrow:(i.e. bring pens to school, take clothes to dry cleaner, bio test tomorrow, etc). You set it and until you shut it off it…it Nudges you.
- Remind-This one is one of my favorites, because both schools and families can use it and access one person’s account. For example, Mom can set a reminder text for “feed the dog” and the teacher can send one for “algebra test tomorrow.”
Visual Planning/Visual Organizers
- Choiceworks-The Choiceworks app is an essential learning tool for helping children complete daily routines (morning, day, & night), understand & control their feelings and improve their waiting skills (taking turns and not interrupting). Created with the support of leading hospitals and child development specialists, this app is designed for caregivers to provide clear and consistent support to foster a child’s independence, positive behavior, and emotional regulation at home and in the community. It can also be customized for teachers in a school setting.
- Mindjet Maps for iPad® lets you easily enter ideas, tasks, and meeting notes into intuitive visual maps that help you quickly organize concepts and prioritize action items. Instantly create new maps or import them from Mindjet Connect®.
- First Then Visual Schedule-First-Then visual schedule application is designed for caregivers to provide positive behavior support. For individuals with communication needs, developmental delays, Autism or those who benefit from a structured environment; visual schedules serve to increase independence and lower anxiety during transitions through different activities.
- CourseNotes- great for students- you can add your teachers and color code all of your notes. This app allows you to take notes during class while keeping them organized by subject or meeting. Review your notes later and search through multiple class meetings and notes all at once. You can also keep a To-Do list by marking notes as To-Do items, or track them as assignments with a due date.
- iStudiezPro-Unique built-in planner lets you input and easy manage all types of schedules including classic, alternating (A & B weeks), rotating, and block schedule. Not only you can enter the most common course details, but also add instructors with all related information such as office hours, affiliation, phone number, and email address. As well you are welcome to add holiday periods and even cancel separate classes in case of outstanding events.
- 30-30 productivity– Most people can’t really concentrate for more than 30 minutes at a time, but keep working only to end up procrastinating for hours. The 30-30 schedule allows you both to get more work done and have time to do the things you love, simply by timing them better.
Working Memory Apps
Quizlet-Quizlet is the easiest way to practice and master what you’re learning. Create your own flashcards and study sets or choose from millions created by other students — it’s up to you. More than 50 million students study with Quizlet each month because it’s the leading education and flashcard app that makes studying languages, history, vocab and science simple and effective. And it’s free!
- Writepad– Take notes in your own handwriting and have them effortlessly converted into digital text with our signature handwriting recognition software. Create + write digital notes, documents, emails and more.
- YouNote– At YouNote, we want to make the process of writing assignments as easy as possible for our users. With our technology, you’ll be able to take images of your notes, books or anything you wish and we’ll extract all of the text from that image with our app. You’ll be able to reference these notes within the app, as well as via our website, for you to copy straight into your assignments.
- CourseNotes– great for students- you can add your teachers and color code all of your notes. This app allows you to take notes during class while keeping them organized by subject or meeting. Review your notes later and search through multiple class meetings and notes all at once. You can also keep a To-Do list by marking notes as To-Do items, or track them as assignments with a due date.
- Dragon Dictation– free app for iPad or iPhone easy-to-use voice recognition application that allows you to easily speak and instantly see your text or email messages. In fact, it’s up to five (5) times faster than typing on the keyboard.
- iAnnotate– users say it best: “Light years ahead of the other PDF annotation apps,” “an indispensable tool to have,” and “the reason I bought an iPad.” Go paperless and utilize one of the best apps for productivity available!
Time Management Apps
- Task Agenda–Task Agenda was made to help people get organized, remember activities, and make better use of time.
- Evernote-An easy-to-use, free app that helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use. Stay organized, save your ideas and improve your productivity. Evernote lets you take notes, snap photos, create to-do lists, scan business cards, and record voice reminders.