Dolls with Disabilities
Kids need dolls and toys that resemble them. Sure, it’s great to have toys that you aspire to be, like an astronaut or scientist. But if every astronaut or scientist you see is an able-bodied white male, it changes the way a child thinks. If a child is disabled, they need disabled dolls and toys.
This is an older post that used to be called Dolls with Special Needs, but I am moving away from using the phrase Special Needs.
It’s so important for kids to see toys and dolls with disabilities. To have them play in their imaginary world and do things normalizes it for real life. Here are more than 25 dolls and action figures with disabilities.
I’ve also included accessories for toys and action figures you might already have, plus where to buy them. These disabled dolls and action figures are not always easy to find.
Admittedly, disabled dolls and dolls with wheelchairs were much easier to find in a female version than a male. But, still, I was excited to find one WWE wheelchair set, so disability toys for boys are out there!
Disability Awareness Dolls
American Girl–American Girl has a great assortment for kids. While I’ll admit that they are not cheap, they are super cute! You can buy a wheelchair, a walker, hearing aids and much more. If you keep scrolling down, you’ll see I have listed similar items at Toys R Us that are less expensive.
American Girl Wheelchair
Barbie– Barbie is finally getting it right and adding disabilities to the lineup.
Build a Bear– Build a bear has hearing aids and a few other accessories that you can add on to their existing dolls/stuffed animals. For example here is the $2 Hearing Aid you can buy and put on any stuffed animal.
And they have a seizure helmet! A seizure helmet!
Flaghouse– Is a toy/educational games make that offers the following accessories for dolls: Wheelchair, Vinyl Glasses, Forearm Crutches, Leg Braces, Walker, Seeing Eye Dog and Cane, and Dark Vinyl Glasses.
Lakeshore-Another great retailer of educational stuff, stimmy toys, sensory…you name it. They have a decent selection of disabled toys and dolls, I’ve put them here because they are available on Amazon.
Toys R Us–Toys R Us has a whole line called Journey Girls. Journey Girls has cool accessories like a wheelchair and a T1 insulin kit for dolls. Journey Girls is the same concept as American Girl dolls, but much more affordable!
Ok, obviously TRU is out of business, but Journey Girls is available on Amazon.
Shadow Buddies-Shadow Buddies don’t look very realistic as far as the face and body, but they have everything! They have g-tube dolls, seizure helmets, prosthetics, surgery, and much more.
Star Wars-I’ve heard that you can buy Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader with their prosthetic arms, but I could not find them.
Ringside Collectibles-I was so pleased to find this WWE toy! Take a look! If your kids have the WWE action figures, they can get accessories for them.
Etsy shop- AFOs for dolls?! Yes, please!
Fisher Price-This item you will likely only find via resale on Amazon or Ebay, but it’s super cool. I have it up above in the Amazon ad.
Barbie-Mattel used to offer Barbie items, but they took a lot of heat when the Barbie wheelchair didn’t fit in the Barbie dreamhouse. Oops! You can still find dolls and accessories, but again, look to Ebay and Amazon.
Last but not least, here are more disabled dolls and toys to choose from.
- Helps children learn about disabilities, safety and community through creative play.
- Multicultural creative learning toys suitable for block play, day care and preschool.
- Each piece is 5" x 2" x 2"
- For ages 18m+
- The latest line of Barbie Fashionistas dolls includes different body types and a mix of skin tones, eye colors, hair colors, hairstyles and so many fashions inspired by the latest trends!
- Barbie doll comes with a wheelchair that has rolling wheels and a working brake, plus a ramp that works with the Barbie Dreamhouse (sold separately).
- The doll also features 22 "joints" -in the neck, upper arms, elbows, wrists, torso, hips, upper legs, knees and ankles -to play out all kinds of motion in and out of the wheelchair.
- She wears a matching top and shorts with green tropical print, orange sneakers and a lemon-inspired fanny pack.
- Her long blonde hair is styled in loose waves for a trendy look.
- The latest line of Barbie Fashionistas dolls includes 7 body types, 9 skin tones, 7 eye colors, 11 hair colors, 12 hairstyles and so many on-trend fashions and accessories!
- Barbie doll has a more petite body than the original and has vitiligo areas on her face, neck and hands.
- She wears a colorful striped dress with white sneakers and a fanny pack.
- Her brunette hair is styled in curls atop her head for a look that's right on trend.
- Makes a great gift for kids 3 years and older because when a girl plays with Barbie, she imagines everything she can become!
- SUPER SOFT DOLLS: Six culturally diverse baby dolls are made from super-soft material promote inclusion, hugging, squeezing and nurturing role play
- 13 PIECE SET: The six babies have permanently affixed caps that match the removable, texturally-inviting sack dresses - perfect for little ones to develop matching and motor skills as they dress and undress their dolls
- EMPATHETIC QUALITIES: This doll set encourages your children to be nurturing, caring, and inclusive, providing necessary skillsets for life
- HIGH-QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: The hand-sewn babies and basket are designed to last and to stand up to years of play. The embroidered eyes, nose, and mouth make sure that there are no safety concerns when little ones are playing
- EASY CARE: The fabric is surface washable so the babies will not stay dirty long for your convenience
- This line of 12 Barbie Fashionistas dolls includes 6 body types, 9 skin tones, 6 eye colors, 11 hair colors, 10 hairstyles and so many on-trend fashions and accessories!
- Barbie doll has a limb difference and wears a prosthetic leg -kids can easily take it on and off to add a unique element to storytelling.
- She wears a dress with ruffled sleeves and striped pattern.
- White shoes and silvery hoops complete the look.
- Her long brunette hair is styled in a partial updo for a trendy look.
- DOLL WITH COCHLEAR IMPLANT wearing red rain jacket, cute ladybird t-shirt, jeans & red rain boots.
- DOLL WITH DARK BROWN HAIR has brown eyes and dark skin, too. Complete with doll-sized camera!
- TOYS FOR GIRLS & BOYS, so much more than princess fashionistas. Fall in love with Lottie Dolls!
- LOTTIE DOLLS are small 7 inch dolls, making them the perfect size for little kids' hands. So cute!
- AWARD-WINNING TOYS for girls & boys, promoting diversity & activity. From campaigners to STEM dolls
- Includes Joshand Miafigures
- Sized just right for little hands
- Expand their world of Little People by collecting all their everyday heroes and community helpers! (Additional figures sold separately and subject to availability.)
- Taylor, Sonya Renee (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 174 Pages - 05/29/2018 (Publication Date) - Rockridge Press (Publisher)
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.