100 Best Autism Apps
All of these autism apps were recommended to me by either a Special Education Teacher, Speech and Language Pathologist, or an Occupational Therapist.
This might seem like an overwhelming blog post- 100 Best Apps for Learning Disabled and Special Needs Students. I promise you, it’s not. I worked very hard to make it manageable for parents. After all, this was previously 6 or 7 separate blog posts.
By reader request: I heard from lots of readers who couldn’t remember where they had seen a particular app. Then we’d comb over the posts together until we found it. Now, all in one spot. I try to keep the links current, so please let me know if you find one that doesn’t work so I can fix it.
And, this time, they are categorized and numbered. You’re welcome!
This section is a mix of ABA, speech and other social skills apps for kids with autism and other developmental disabilities. There is some overlap between these apps–they may also appear in specific sections.
- DAF Assistant – Fluency-DAF Assistant implements Delayed Auditory Feedback (DAF) and Frequency-shifting Auditory Feedback (FAF) techniques that are known to help people with stuttering to speak more fluently.
- Expressionist – AdastraSoft
- iCommunicate. – Grembe Inc.
- iConverse – Assisted Communication – Xcellent Creations, Inc.(AAC)
- In My Dreams – DevelopEase, llc
- iPrompts-StoryMaker for Social Stories – Handhold Adaptive, LLC
- Learn To Talk First Words – Preschool,Kindergarten Flashcards – Thunderloop
- Locabulary Lite – Red Mountain Labs, Inc.
- Look2Learn – AAC – MDR
- ArtikPix – Expressive Solutions LLC
- Speech Journal – Mobile Education Store LLC
- Model Me Going Places 2 – Model Me Kids, LLC
- MyTalkTools Mobile Lite – 2nd Half Enterprises LLC(AAC)
- Pocket Artic – Synapse Apps, LLC
- Proloquo2Go – AssistiveWare – AAC Full site
- Sentence Builder App – Abitalk Incorporated
- Sign 4 Me for iPad – A Signed English Translator – Vcom3D
- Sign Smith ASL Essential – Vcom3D ASL
- Smart Oral Motor – Smarty Ears
- iSpeech Text To Speech Pro – iSpeech, Inc.
- Visual Schedule – DataNull Software
- TapSpeak Button Standard for iPad – Ted Conley
- Voice4u – Spectrum Visions
- Autism iHelp – WH Questions – John Talavera
- Articulation Station Pro – Little Bee Speech 3-7 years old
- Chicktionary Coop – A Multiplayer Word Game – Blockdot, Inc.
- First Words At Home – EZ Apps, Inc.
- iWriteWords (Handwriting Game) – gdiplus
- Word Magic – Anusen Inc
- SpellBoard – PalaSoftware Inc.
- ABC Animals – Critical Matter, Inc.
- ABC PocketPhonics: letter sounds & writing + first words – Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- Alphabet Animals – Ventura Educational Systems
- Curious George’s Dictionary for iPad – ScrollMotion
- The Emperor’s New Clothes Storybook HD – Smash Atom Software LLC
- eTextbooks for the iPad – CourseSmart LLC
- iReading HD – Goldilocks and the Three Bears – Dam Chen
- ICDL – Free Books for Children – International Children’s Digital Library – ICDL Foundation
- iLook – White on Black Picture Book – ComputerNet Technologies
- IMotherGoose Presents The Night Before Christmas – iReadAndLearn.com
- iStoryTime Kids Books – Binky the Pink Elephant – zuuka incorporated
- Free Books – 23,469 classics to go. – Spreadsong, Inc.
- See Read Say – 2BPM Software
- Achieve It With Sesame Street – Sesame Street
- Line & Verse – Elsewise LLC
- Stories2Learn – MDR
- StoryKit – ICDL Foundation
- Dr. Seuss’s The Cat in the Hat Color & Create! – Random House Digital, Inc.
- The Three Little Pigs – LAZ Reader [Level F–first grade] – Language Technologies, Inc.
- weesay ABC – Digit
Song and Music Apps
Great for those beginning to vocalize.
- Five Little Monkeys With Nothing to Do – Oceanhouse Media
- Nursery Rhymes Tap – Little Ones Studio, LLC
- Kids Songs – Alkeo
- The Wheels on the Bus – All In One Educational Activity Center and Sing Along – Kids Games Club
- Best Kids Songs · Stories – Samsung Publishing Ltd.
- Old MacDonald Had A Farm – Perplext™
- Puff the Magic Dragon
- Toddler Jukebox: 6 free songs – Tipitap Inc.
Auditory Processing Disorder Apps
- ABC PocketPhonics: letter sounds & writing + first words – Apps in My Pocket Ltd(phonological processing)
- Tap Drums FREE – Victor Ren (pattern recognition/sequencing)
- Simon- – Horizon Business, Inc. (temporal processing)
- SONUS (ONE) – Matthew Applegate (temporal processing)
- Kids Can Match – Animals, vocal memory game for children: full version HD! – Kids Place – Auditory Memory
- Tap Tap Voices
- White Noise – TMSOFT
Apps to Improve Accessibility
- BigNames – Large-Text Contact List – xinsight
- Braille Visual Translator for iPhone – Marco Savaresi
- iHear Dialer – KayZee Solutions
- AmpUp – Harman International Industries
- iOS Voice Command Basics – Sugar Coded Apps
- Web Reader – Text to Speech – Chris Chauvin
Autism Apps: Sensory or Social Skills Deficits
- proloquo2Go- this must-have app provides you with alternative and augmentative communication features for children that have speech/language difficulties. The program contains text-to-speech voices, up-to-date symbols, a default vocabulary, and much more. Speech/Language therapists, teachers, and parents recommend the program for children and adults not only with autism but also for cerebral palsy, Down Syndrome, apraxia, ALS, developmental disabilities, and stroke or traumatic brain injury. Proloquo is considered by many to be the gold standard in communication apps and it’s a bit spendy. But, they have offered it at 50% off on World Autism Day, so check back.
- Autism Express–facial expression and emotions are some of the most difficult things for people with Autism to interpret. This program helps Autistic individuals recognize and express their emotions through fun and easy interface games. The application is also available for free!
- Model Me Going Places–great program that models social skills to kids in various settings like the playground, mall, restaurant, doctor, grocery store, and getting a haircut. It plays through each setting with pictures, text, and audio as you flip-touch through each page and “social story”. Perfect for kids with ASD to help with social skill building and understanding social situations.Plus it is free!
- Stories 2 learn–create personalized social stories using photos, text, and audio messages for autistic kids that have difficulties with communication, transitioning, excursions, or routings. Easy to create sentences by just arranges pictures in a sentence. This program can be effective for children with ASD or others with special needs that do well with visual prompts.$13.99
- icommunicate–amazing program that allows you to customize your in any language by creating pictures, flashcards, storyboards, vital schedules, routines, and custom audio. There are 100+ pictures to get you started and you can add pictures with the google search or your camera.
- Grace–designed by Lisa Domican, a mother of two autistic children in Ireland-this application’s idea is to gracefully help autistic and other special needs children effectively communicate by building sentences from relevant images. You easily customize the app by using picture and photo vocabulary of your choice. The idea behind Grace is to ensure interaction of the user with the listener, and mutual understanding of the user’s real communication needs and build trust.
- Tap to Talk Education– pretty, cool “game-like” device to teach communication. Tap the picture and the Tap to Talk speaks.With over 2,000 pictures and the ability to add your own photos and sounds, this program allows you to create a very individualized album for your autistic child. Plus it is amazingly….free!
- My Talk Mobile Actions–useful app that enables people with communication difficulties to express their needs to those around them through pictures, images, symbols, and audio files including a human voice. Turns your iPad into an alternative communication device (AAC).
- iConverse– this program is more like a picture exchange board (PEC) that provides the user tiles to choose from with both audio and visual. This is perfect for the ASD child that has communication difficulties.
- Autism Tracker Lite-Autism Tracker can be life changing for families with an autistic child. Explore Autism. Track what matters to your child and your family. Use the visual calendar and multi-item graphs to view and discuss patterns. Share individual events or entire screens with your team using Dropbox, email or Twitter (Twitter lets you set up closed groups).
- Touch and Learn Emotions-helps reinforce learning emotions of others by what their body language and expression is.
- Turn Taker-Turn Taker uses visual and audio cues to facilitate turn taking and sharing for any child. The app also includes an illustrated social story about game play and sharing. This app has been used successfully with a variety of young children who find it difficult to share.
- Manners Social Stories-This app includes a 10 page social story about why it is important to be polite, and how to have good manners. The app also includes a simple visual support for using the polite phrases from the story.
- Autism iHelp, WH questions-Autism iHelp is a vocabulary teaching aid developed by parents of a child with Autism and a speech-language pathologist. Autism iHelp was inspired by the need for specific language intervention tools for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder focusing on their unique strengths and difficulty with expressive vocabulary.
- Social Skill Builder-2 modules in the title Preschool Playtime (Preschool & Playground), 13 modules in the title My School Day (Laughing, Table Talk, Classroom, Transition Time, Lunch Time, Jungle Gym, Team Games 1 & 2, Cubby, Eating, Playground, Hall & Line Up), 2 modules in the title My Community (Friend’s House & Restaurant), 2 modules in the title School Rules! (Hanging Out & Classroom Assignments)
- Social Comprehension-Social Comprehension is an app dedicated to helping people of all ages, particularly teens with Autism and other special needs. This will help with their understanding of various social situations, teaching them how to interact and study with their peers.
- Autism Emotion– Autism Emotion uses music and a photo slideshow to help teach about different emotions.
- Autism iHelp, Language Concepts-Autism iHelp is a vocabulary teaching aid developed by parents of a child with Autism and a speech-language pathologist. Autism iHelp was inspired by the need for specific language intervention tools for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder focusing on their unique strengths and difficulty with expressive vocabulary.
- Autism Apps– If my list isn’t good enough or big enough for you, then check out Autism Apps. Autism Apps is simply a comprehensive list of apps that are being used with and by people diagnosed with autism, Down syndrome and other special needs. It also includes links to any available information that can be found for each app. The Apps are also separated into over 30 categories, and the descriptions are all searchable, so any type of app is easy to find and download.
ABA apps for Autism
- ABA Flash Cards – Alphabet – Kindergarten.com
- ABA Flash Cards – Animals – Kindergarten.com
- ABA Problem Solving Game – Which Go Together? – Kindergarten.com
- ABA Receptive Identification – Kindergarten.com
- ABA Problem Solving Game – What Rhymes? – Kindergarten.com
- ABA Receptive Identification – By Class – Kindergarten.com
- ABA Flash Cards – Food – Kindergarten.com
- ABA Sight Words – Kindergarten.com
- ABA Flash Cards & Games – Emotions – Innovative Mobile Apps
- ABA – Problem Solving – What does not belong? – Innovative Mobile Apps
- ABA Flash Cards
Best Speech Therapy apps-developed by a Speech Pathologist
Speech Therapy Apps-Articulation and Phonology
Speech Therapy Apps-Apraxia
Speech Therapy Apps-Auditory Processing
- Auditory Workout
- Auditory Processing Studio
- School of Multi Step Directions
- Auditory Reasoning
- Auditory Memory Ride
Speech Therapy Apps-Social Skills/Autism
Speech Therapy Apps-Language and Vocabulary
5 Apps for Executive Functioning Support
- Dragon Dictation- free app for iPad or iPhone easy-to-use voice recognition application that allows you to easily speak and instantly see your text or email messages. In fact, it’s up to five (5) times faster than typing on the keyboard.
- iAnnotate- users say it best: “Light years ahead of the other PDF annotation apps,” “an indispensable tool to have,” and “the reason I bought an iPad.” Go paperless and utilize one of the best apps for productivity available!
- iStudiezPro-award winning app 2009-2010- Best Young Adults and Best Parenting App for iPad! Best App Ever Award Winner in Education category!
- CourseNotes- great for students- you can add your teachers and color code all of your notes. This app allows you to take notes during class while keeping them organized by subject or meeting. Review your notes later and search through multiple class meetings and notes all at once. You can also keep a To-Do list by marking notes as To-Do items, or track them as assignments with a due date.
- Nudge -quick note to remember something for tomorrow:(i.e. bring pens to school, take clothes to dry cleaner, bio test tomorrow, etc). You set it and until you shut it off it…it Nudges you.
Latest posts by Lisa Lightner
- Worst.IEP.Advice.Ever. - September 23, 2019
- 8 Fun Alternatives to Trick or Treating. - September 22, 2019
- I bet you didn’t know these 10 Fun Facts about Halloween. - September 21, 2019