This Is Us Sucks
There, I said it. Someone had to.
I tried, I really tried. I watched most of This is Us, Season 1, live on TV, missing an episode here and there and catching up on Hulu. Watched the first two episodes of This is Us Season 2, eh….but after last night’s show, I made a decision.
And………..I’m out. Why do people like This is Us?
This is Us is dumb, totally jumped the shark yesterday. (no, this is not about IEPs, but I just had to get it out of my head!)
I never cried. Wait, I think I did when William died. Hey, I’m not a robot. I enjoyed it, it was watchable, something to mindlessly watch in the evening. I never understood all the hype and all the crying.
Why I Hate This is Us
8. Angst: Yesterday’s episode just had too much angst. Every family member, every scene. Kate and Rebecca, Randall…jeezus even Miguel was a little angsty this week. Enough. This is Us is just bad.
7. Milo Ventimiglia always bugged me. I could look past him to enjoy the rest of the show but not anymore. Something about his mannerisms, his voice…and c’mon, a bottle of whiskey in the work cabinet? Cliche much? WAIT-I thought of it. Smarmy. That’s the word I’m looking for–smarmy.
6. Kevin’s existential crisis over getting rich off of a crappy tv sitcom. Puh-lease. He wants to go into the theater and make real art. Uh-huh. And then goes back to the sitcom right away in the second season.
5. This is Us is boring. Storylines drag on too long. We still don’t know all the circumstances of Jack’s death and Rebecca and Miguel getting together, and we’re into Season 2. Sure, we expect a cliffhanger for the last episode, but this has gone on long enough, as have most of the stories.
4. This is Us is problematic. Kate’s weight being exploited. Wow, it was so phenomenal that NBC hired a big girl to play an ordinary role on a prime-time drama. Since then? Every single story has centered around the fact that she is overweight–the support group, Toby, fat camp, the singing audition. How about you cast an overweight person and let her do things beyond being overweight?
3. This is us is stupid. “Old” Mandy Moore makeup is not believable. It’s just not. It’s Mandy Moore in a cheap wig. Miguel’s is pretty poorly done too.
2. This is Us is annoying. Seriously, how can one family have this many issues? Infant death, alcoholism, domineering spouse, job stress, interracial adoption, homosexuality, drug use, homelessness, racism, heart attack, anxiety, PTSD, childhood trauma everywhere…I’m sure I forgot some. All in one family? And yet at the same time, it’s incredibly boring.
I get a lot of comments like “hey, it could happen!” but think about it. I mean, this is really more of a novella.
- obesity discrimination
- unwanted pregnancy and lying about it
- drug addiction (twice!)
- infant loss
- health issues
- racism/interracial issues
- marrying hubby’s best friend
- And now…death by Crock Pot!
1. Some things are too easy for this family. Sophie gets back with Kevin without much more than a shrug. Beth lets William live in the house with her daughters without barely even asking any questions. “Hey honey, here’s a homeless drug addict I brought home to live with us, supposedly he’s my real dad, soooo….cool with you?”
And last but not least….don’t we already have enough real things in society to make us cry? Do we need a TV drama for us to schedule weekly tears?
Yes, I know there are lots of real problems in the world, but sometimes it’s just fun to vent about an annoying TV show. 10:00 is late for me to stay up and this show just isn’t worth it for me.