“Mom, how come you never laugh?”
Ouch. How is that for a wake-up call? My 8-year-old actually said that to me.
And he was right. I honestly couldn’t remember the last time I laughed. Between the seizures and politics and worrying about Kevin and everything else, it has been forever and a day since I had a good laugh. I talk about IEPs all day and it’s not very funny.
I asked my friends for some recommendations. We don’t have cable, so whatever they recommended has to be on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime Video. I also told them that I wanted something that would make me literally laugh out loud—I don’t want a comedian that just does political commentary. That’s not funny to me anymore because the reality is too frightening.
Here is their list, YLMV. (Instead of Your Mileage May Vary, it’s Your Laughter May Vary, because what is funny to one person may not be to another)
What to watch on TV when you want to laugh
In no particular order….
- Kevin Hart
- The TV show Frazier
- On Netflix-series, Grace and Frankie (I watch this and enjoy it, was told second season is funnier)
- Netflix series-Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (I watch this and enjoy it, but don’t find it laugh out loud funny)
- Flight of the Conchords
- Eastbound and Down
- The Detour
- Parks & Rec
- Life in Pieces
- Early Jim Gaffigan stuff
- Brooklyn 99
- British Baking Show
- Idiot Abroad
- The Moaning of Life
- Nine Lives (with Kevin Spacey)
- John Mulaney special-The Comeback Kid
- Eddie Izzard stand up specials, especially Dressed to Kill
- Monty Python’s Flying Circus
- Dave Chapelle
- Catastrophe (on Amazon Prime, not kid friendly)
- Kathleen Madigan stand up
- Trial and Error
- Sebastian Maniscalco stand up
- Brian Regan
- Aziz Ansari
- Postcards from the Edge
- Whoopie one woman show
- Mambo Mouth
- Podcast-My Dad wrote a porno
- Gabriel Iglesias
Well, looks like we went over 25, so ignore the 25 in the graphic! I hope that some of these make you laugh. I’m so happy to have a list to refer to when I can’t remember what to look for.