How to Save Money on Internet Service
Let’s face it. The internet is a necessity these days. Many schools are requiring homework and projects from students that require access to the internet.
It allows you to enjoy TV at a much cheaper price. You can keep up with friends and family through social media. You can even find educational games and lessons for your children. The problem is that the average household spends around $100 per month after their promotional offers have ended. If you’re trying to cut your expenses, don’t worry. You can keep your internet, but you can also save money.
5 Ways to Save Money on your Internet Service
- Compare Prices– First things first. Call around to the other providers in your area and see how much they charge. Write these prices down along with how much service is after the promotional period, what the speeds are, if there are data caps, and the type of service it is (DSL, cable, etc.). Once you have this information in hand, you can use it against your current provider.
- Threaten to Cancel-Call your current provider and ask that they lower your price. Explain how long you’ve been with the company and that you’ve never had a late payment. If they refuse, tell them that you’ve been comparing prices and that other companies are much less expensive. If they still refuse, tell them you want to cancel your service. This will usually get the company working at a cheaper price. You may need to sign another contract for a promotional price but if the price is lower, go with it.
- Consider a Lower Speed-If you only use the internet for basics, consider lowering your speed. If you’re not streaming TV, movies, or games, you can usually live with a lower speed. Just be aware that you may notice the difference in the beginning.
- Drop the Services You Don’t Need-Is your internet bundled in with services you don’t need? Drop those services. If you don’t use your landline phone, drop it. If you don’t watch cable TV, drop it. Your actual internet price may rise a bit, but your overall monthly bill should go down with the reduced services.
- Or not. Bundle-Last, but not least, if you do watch cable TV and use a landline phone, make sure those services are bundled together. You’ll be surprised at how much money you can save when you bundle the services.
If you’re paying more than you’d like for internet service, use these tips to cut those costs. You’d be surprised at how much lower your bill can be by taking a bit of time to shop for or ask for a better price.
More Ways for You to Save Money:
Latest posts by Friends of A Day in our Shoes
- 9 Unusual Items we should all recycle instead of trash! - March 9, 2019
- 10 Ways to Turn Clutter into Cash. - February 26, 2019
- 5 Easy Steps to a Cleaner Mudroom - February 22, 2019