Do you know what a Precision Medicine Initiative is?
Precision Medicine is just what it says it is. “Medical care designed to optimize efficiency or therapeutic benefit for particular groups of patients, especially by using genetic or molecular profiling.” You can help change the future of medicine by participating in the All of Us Research Program.
My son’s genetic condition is not new, but the knowledge of it is. The technology that was used to determine what he has is called a FISH test. It’s short for Fluorescence in situ hybridization. (Now you see why they just call it FISH.)
But the technology to perform such a test has only been around for a few decades. As a result of that, there are probably many individuals walking around with his genetic condition (and others) who don’t know specifically what they have. Precision medicine helps researchers to develop targeted treatments for health conditions.
I’ve said a zillion times before, I love and accept my son for who he is, 1000%. I don’t want to change a thing about him. Except for the seizures. I am always looking for new opportunities for my family to participate in research that is related to his condition, only because of the of his life-threatening seizures.
Many parents are in my shoes.
All of Us: Pennsylvania
So, first of all, “harumph!” They chose Pittsburgh first. Ok, we’ll let them have this one. And I’ve been looking for an excuse to visit Pittsburgh anyway. But yes, for now, it’s only in Pittsburgh. I will keep you informed if it expands to this side of the state. There are 6 locations in Pittsburgh and one in Altoona if you wish to participate.
- The University of Pittsburgh was awarded $4.2 million for the first year, with a potential of up to nearly $67 million over five years, to build the infrastructure needed to launch the program.
- All of Us Pennsylvania, the University’s program, plans to enroll 120,000 patients in the region, and fund pilot studies using accrued data to advance precision medicine care.
- Precision medicine or personalized medicine is health care that is based on each individual. It takes into account factors like where you live, what you do, and your family health history and genetics.
- By signing up for this study, you can help change the future of medicine, you may improve your or others’ health and you may improve healthcare for your children.
- Participants will get compensated ($25) for participation.
- All of US Pennsylvania has enrolled more than 8,000 participants so far.
So what are you waiting for? All of Us Pennsylvania is creating the largest health data resource ever. Your health information will be added to the All of Us Research Program database. Researchers may use this data in health studies. This may lead to the next big medical breakthrough. And of course, all your personal information will be kept private!
“The is a sponsored post in partnership with All of Us PA and The Motherhood.”
Latest posts by Lisa Lightner
- Understanding the IEP Process, for Parents. - November 11, 2019
- Pine Ridge Dude Ranch | Upstate NY | Why It’s our Family Favorite! - November 10, 2019
- 50 Best Sensory Toys for Toddlers and Kids with Autism. - November 9, 2019