It was terrible! Awful, yet I couldn’t look away.
So much was learned, here are the highlights.
When asked about full funding of IDEA
- Yes, she would support looking into this. However, she has an even better idea! How about we attach the IDEA funding to the individual student? Red flag: she’ll support it, in a voucher program. She was not able or did not answer questions that addressed what a family should do if a voucher does not cover the cost of the child’s special education.
- When further pressed on IDEA, it became clear that she has no clue how it works, or how an IEP works.
- She would not commit to guaranteeing FAPE if you take a voucher. If you accept a voucher and it doesn’t work out, you have no recourse.
- She would not commit to ALL schools that receive government funding being held accountable to IDEA.
- She said that enforcement of IDEA should be left up to the states. Yes, she said this. She obviously has no idea how it works.
- Senator Hassan from NH stated that she is disappointed in DeVos’ obvious lack of knowledge around IDEA. Senator Hassan obviously has a great grasp of how IDEA works and how vouchers would be detrimental to public education and special education.
When Senator Warren asked about existing education laws:
- Would not commit to enforcing existing education laws.
Other random items that were tossed around, I cannot remember who brought them all up:
- Senator Franken asked her about proficiency vs. growth, in measuring children and education. It was clear that she has no idea about the concept.
- Senator Kaine asked her about holding ALL schools accountable, and she would not commit to hold all schools that receive public funding to accountability.
- The Senator from Alaska asked about rural students and school choice, and brought up that some rural students just are not going to have the same school choice as other states. Gave a very non-committal answer and commended Alaska on their innovative thinking.
- Would not commit to keeping guns out of schools, or keeping schools as Gun Free Zones. Because, grizzly bears. You might need a gun on the premises to shoot a grizzly bear. (can’t make this up!)
- Would not commit to keeping funding of education at current levels or say for sure that she would not defund public education. In fact, she said she open to the idea of defunding public schools and privatizing them.
- Would not commit to enforcing rules already in place regarding campus rapes.
- Admitted she has no real knowledge of college funding.
Ok, that’s more than 10, but I’m stopping.
If you want to watch the entire 3-hour shit show, here you go. I missed pretty much the whole first hour due to dinner, and there was still plenty of good stuff in the second and third hours.
I cannot say it enough….they vote on Tuesday……
In related news, Senator Alexander from Tennessee is a jagoff and needs to be voted out. C’mon Tennessee, get rid of this guy!