Chemical Free Sunscreens
If you subscribe to my newsletter, you know that I’m a little freaked out about this chemical sunscreen thing. What chemical sunscreen thing, you ask?
Well, I’ll recap. Basically, researchers discovered that the chemicals that are in many of the sunscreens that we use are absorbed into the skin. This can happen within 24 hours of applying. So, I am in the market for the best safe, chemical-free sunscreen for kids. Our summer fun depends on it!
One researcher even stated: “When sunscreens were first evaluated by the FDA back in the ’70s, we all thought the ingredients sat on the surface of the skin and didn’t do anything,” says Dr. Theresa Michele, director of the division of nonprescription drug products in the office of new drugs at the Center for Drug Evaluation Research at the FDA. “But we’ve learned over the years that’s not actually the case, so we started looking at them more closely.”
What Sunscreens are Safe for Kids?
And today, doctors from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia said this: Pediatricians and dermatologists recommend using physical or mineral sunscreens (those with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) with young children and anyone with dry skin or eczema. They also caution against using spray-application sunscreen, which might be inhaled.
As with anything, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on the internet. If you have concerns about your sunscreen, talk with your child’s pediatrician. I bet many moms already use natural and organic sunscreen because their kids have sensitive skin, skin allergies or eczema.
Chemical Free Sunscreen
The following brands of sunscreen have options that are mineral-based. I am no longer buying chemical-based sun protection. There are other precautions like wearing hats, SPF shirts and staying out of the sun during prime hours.
Other dangers of chemical sunscreen
If the CHOP doctors don’t convince you to switch to mineral sunscreen, maybe this will.
- Key West is banning sunscreens containing the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate due to the damage they’ve caused to coral reefs and ocean life.
- Hawaii has banned the same chemicals for the same reasons.
- Other countries including Palau, Mexico and Bonaire are doing the same.
- Some of these chemicals are known hormone/endocrine disruptors.( Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that can interfere with endocrine systems at certain doses. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. wiki )
- These active sunscreen chemicals have not been studied much, if at all.
- Many of our kids are medically complex, medically fragile, have different genetic makeup than the general public, and are on multiple medications. Is it dangerous? We just don’t know.
- #1 pediatrician recommended mineral-based sunscreen brand with broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 50+
- Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides broad spectrum protection
- Easy-to-apply – Spray and rub into skin for mineral sun protection that is easy to use and dries clear
- Consciously-selected ingredients – Made with an earth-friendly propellant and contains no Oxybenzone and no Octinoxate to help protect delicate coral reefs Paraben free and fragrance free
- Contains no fragrances or parabens, making it ideal for sensitive skin Water resistant and sweat resistant
- WE LOVE THE REEF - To help protect delicate coral reefs, our Kids sunscreen contains no Oxybenzone or Octinoxate
- ALWAYS MINERAL-BASED - Combining mineral and chemical UV protectors for water-resistant performance you can trust
- DERMATOLOGIST-RECOMMENDED BROAD SPECTRUM UVA/UVB SPF 30+ - Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides true broad spectrum protection
- PARABEN-FREE & FRAGRANCE-FREE - Contains no fragrances or parabens, making it ideal for sensitive skin
- WATER RESISTANT AND SWEAT RESISTANT - Up to 80 minutes water resistance, so you stay protected longer
- Contains 2 6-oz tubes
- REEF SAFE: Made without oxybenzone and octinoxate.
- Formulated without: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano particles
- Formulated with: Octisalate, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide
- Formulated with NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend: Our own blend of tomato, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin and raspberry seed oils
- ECO and REEF-FRIENDLY - Tropicsport sunscreen is reef friendly & safe, made without harsh active chemical ingredients. We spent 6 years formulating our sunscreen lotion so that it is Oxybenzone free, Octinoxate free, and Avobenzone free. Our sunscreen does not enter your bloodstream so it’s safe for you and is made from the only 2 active ingredients the recognizes as safe for humans - Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide.
- BEST WATER RESISTANCE - Passes both the U.S. 80-minute and more stringent Australian 240-minute water resistance tests. That means it lasts up to 3x longer than other sunscreens. No other sunscreen lasts this long. We recommend you reapply at least every 2 hours to maintain the best protection. Our formula was tested by surfers who demand the best sun protection for prolonged times in the water in the most extreme water environments.
- SAFE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY - approved for use by adults and children 6 months and older. Our baby sunscreen is gentle on sensitive skin and for children under 6 months old, ask a doctor before using. Provide everyone in your family the ultimate in sun protection with broad spectrum coverage and no active chemicals. Safe for all skin types including sensitive skin.
- GOES ON CLEAR, GOES A LONG WAY - No thick, goopy white look. We use high quality Zinc which dries clear or sheer on your skin. Mineral sunscreen goes a long way because you use less of it. Our sunscreen sits on top of your skin and reflects the sun's rays. Other sunscreens absorb into your skin and enter your bloodstream. Ours does not.
- 3-fluid ounce travel-size tube of Aveeno Kids Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 50 for superior broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays for your child's skin
- This effective mineral sunscreen lotion is as mild as water to sensitive skin and applies to kids' skin easily to lock in moisture without stinging or irritation. It's suitable for use on both the face and body
- Specially formulated for children's delicate skin, it contains naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide active and skin-soothing oat, and is both sweat-resistant and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- From the pediatrician-recommended brand, this sunscreen lotion features a tear-free formula that is non-greasy, hypoallergenic and paraben-free, phthalate-free and fragrance-free
- Use this sunscreen with zinc oxide on your children every day during outdoor activities with the family to help prevent sunburn. Reapply after 80 minutes of swimming or sweating, immediately after towel drying and at least every 2 hours
What sunscreen chemicals to avoid?
According to the website BanToxicSunscreens, these are the chemicals they say you should avoid. I’ve only read up on a few of them, but I am not using any sunscreen for my kids if it contains these chemicals. Especially Kevin, since he is on multiple medications for his seizure disorder.
- Cocamide DEA
- Propylene Glycol
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.