Chemical Free Sunscreens
If you subscribe to my newsletter, you know that I’m a little freaked out about this chemical sunscreen thing. What chemical sunscreen thing, you ask?
Well, I’ll recap. Basically, researchers discovered that the chemicals that are in many of the sunscreens that we use are absorbed into the skin. This can happen within 24 hours of applying. So, I am in the market for the best safe, chemical-free sunscreen for kids. Our summer fun depends on it!
One researcher even stated: “When sunscreens were first evaluated by the FDA back in the ’70s, we all thought the ingredients sat on the surface of the skin and didn’t do anything,” says Dr. Theresa Michele, director of the division of nonprescription drug products in the office of new drugs at the Center for Drug Evaluation Research at the FDA. “But we’ve learned over the years that’s not actually the case, so we started looking at them more closely.”
What Sunscreens are Safe for Kids?
And today, doctors from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia said this: Pediatricians and dermatologists recommend using physical or mineral sunscreens (those with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) with young children and anyone with dry skin or eczema. They also caution against using spray-application sunscreen, which might be inhaled.
As with anything, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on the internet. If you have concerns about your sunscreen, talk with your child’s pediatrician. I bet many moms already use natural and organic sunscreen because their kids have sensitive skin, skin allergies or eczema.
Chemical Free Sunscreen
The following brands of sunscreen have options that are mineral-based. I am no longer buying chemical-based sun protection. There are other precautions like wearing hats, SPF shirts and staying out of the sun during prime hours.
Other dangers of chemical sunscreen
If the CHOP doctors don’t convince you to switch to mineral sunscreen, maybe this will.
- Key West is banning sunscreens containing the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate due to the damage they’ve caused to coral reefs and ocean life.
- Hawaii has banned the same chemicals for the same reasons.
- Other countries including Palau, Mexico and Bonaire are doing the same.
- Some of these chemicals are known hormone/endocrine disruptors.( Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that can interfere with endocrine systems at certain doses. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. wiki )
- These active sunscreen chemicals have not been studied much, if at all.
- Many of our kids are medically complex, medically fragile, have different genetic makeup than the general public, and are on multiple medications. Is it dangerous? We just don’t know.
- SAFE, NATURAL PROTECTION: Thinksport Kids sunscreen provides effective SPF 50+ sun protection for children. The broad spectrum UVA & UVB children’s sunblock is suitable for daily use on kids’ sensitive skin, offering gentle defense against the sun’s rays.
- EASY APPLICATION: Kids hate standing still, so this hydrating sun cream is quick and easy to apply, and protection begins instantly. The fast absorbing children’s sun lotion won’t leave skin feeling oily or sticky, and has no unpleasant chemical scent.
- CLEAN MINERAL FORMULA: The first sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements, Thinksport vegan, Leaping Bunny certified sun creams contain no PABA, parabens, phthalates, BPA, oxybenzone, avobenzone, petroleum, gluten, dairy, or toxic chemicals.
- WATER RESISTANT: Your child can swim, dive and play in the water safely. Our children’s sun cream provides the highest water resistance per the FDA, offering kids continuous protection for up to 80 minutes in the pool or sea before the sunscreen should be re-applied.
- REEF FRIENDLY: Safe for children, and safe for the earth. Produced in the USA, our sunscreen’s active ingredient is non-nano Zinc Oxide, and the formula is highly biodegradable, non toxic and does not contain any known chemicals harmful to coral reefs.
- 3-fluid ounce travel-size tube of Aveeno Kids Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 50 for superior broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays for your child's skin
- This effective mineral sunscreen lotion is as mild as water to sensitive skin and applies to kids' skin easily to lock in moisture without stinging or irritation. It's suitable for use on both the face and body
- Specially formulated for children's delicate skin, it contains naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide active and skin-soothing oat, and is both sweat-resistant and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- From the pediatrician-recommended brand, this sunscreen lotion features a tear-free formula that is non-greasy, hypoallergenic and paraben-free, phthalate-free and fragrance-free
- Use this sunscreen with zinc oxide on your children every day during outdoor activities with the family to help prevent sunburn. Reapply after 80 minutes of swimming or sweating, immediately after towel drying and at least every 2 hours
- 𝗖𝗘𝗥𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗜𝗘𝗗 𝗢𝗥𝗚𝗔𝗡𝗜𝗖 𝗦𝗨𝗡𝗦𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗘𝗡: Two Peas Organics all-natural sunscreen uses highly effective plant derived and certified organic ingredients.
- 𝗣𝗢𝗪𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗨𝗟 𝗦𝗨𝗡 𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗧𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡: Provides highly effective SPF 50 broad spectrum UVA & UVB protection that is both water and sweat resistant. Gentle enough for baby’s sensitive skin yet strong enough coverage for kids and adults.
- 𝗖𝗢𝗥𝗔𝗟 𝗥𝗘𝗘𝗙 𝗦𝗔𝗙𝗘: We care deeply about our oceans and environment, so our products and ingredients are always biodegradable and coral reef friendly.
- 𝗡𝗢 𝗙𝗥𝗔𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘 & 𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗠𝗜𝗖𝗔𝗟 𝗙𝗥𝗘𝗘: Fragrance free formula that is gentle on your skin and free from all chemicals found in most sunscreens making it ideal for delicate or sensitive skin. Note that natural oils and organic ingredients separate, so massage the tube to mix ingredients before application.
- 𝗠𝗜𝗡𝗘𝗥𝗔𝗟 / 𝗭𝗜𝗡𝗖 𝗦𝗨𝗡𝗦𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗘𝗡: Extra thick formula with 25% Zinc Oxide helps to prevent sunburns and help decrease the risk of skin damage and early skin aging caused by the sun. Leaves a thin white layer allowing you to see where you’re covered.
- #1 pediatrician recommended mineral-based sunscreen brand with broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 50+
- Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides broad spectrum protection
- Easy-to-apply – Spray and rub into skin for mineral sun protection that is easy to use and dries clear
- Consciously-selected ingredients – Made with an earth-friendly propellant and contains no Oxybenzone and no Octinoxate to help protect delicate coral reefs Paraben free and fragrance free
- Contains no fragrances or parabens, making it ideal for sensitive skin Water resistant and sweat resistant
- Contains 2 6-oz tubes
- REEF SAFE: Made without oxybenzone and octinoxate.
- Formulated without: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano particles
- Formulated with: Octisalate, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide
- Formulated with NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend: Our own blend of tomato, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin and raspberry seed oils
What sunscreen chemicals to avoid?
According to the website BanToxicSunscreens, these are the chemicals they say you should avoid. I’ve only read up on a few of them, but I am not using any sunscreen for my kids if it contains these chemicals. Especially Kevin, since he is on multiple medications for his seizure disorder.
- Cocamide DEA
- Propylene Glycol
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.