Chemical Free Sunscreens
If you subscribe to my newsletter, you know that I’m a little freaked out about this chemical sunscreen thing. What chemical sunscreen thing, you ask?
Well, I’ll recap. Basically, researchers discovered that the chemicals that are in many of the sunscreens that we use are absorbed into the skin. This can happen within 24 hours of applying. So, I am in the market for the best safe, chemical-free sunscreen for kids. Our summer fun depends on it!
One researcher even stated: “When sunscreens were first evaluated by the FDA back in the ’70s, we all thought the ingredients sat on the surface of the skin and didn’t do anything,” says Dr. Theresa Michele, director of the division of nonprescription drug products in the office of new drugs at the Center for Drug Evaluation Research at the FDA. “But we’ve learned over the years that’s not actually the case, so we started looking at them more closely.”
What Sunscreens are Safe for Kids?
And today, doctors from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia said this: Pediatricians and dermatologists recommend using physical or mineral sunscreens (those with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) with young children and anyone with dry skin or eczema. They also caution against using spray-application sunscreen, which might be inhaled.
As with anything, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on the internet. If you have concerns about your sunscreen, talk with your child’s pediatrician. I bet many moms already use natural and organic sunscreen because their kids have sensitive skin, skin allergies or eczema.
Chemical Free Sunscreen
The following brands of sunscreen have options that are mineral-based. I am no longer buying chemical-based sun protection. There are other precautions like wearing hats, SPF shirts and staying out of the sun during prime hours.
Other dangers of chemical sunscreen
If the CHOP doctors don’t convince you to switch to mineral sunscreen, maybe this will.
- Key West is banning sunscreens containing the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate due to the damage they’ve caused to coral reefs and ocean life.
- Hawaii has banned the same chemicals for the same reasons.
- Other countries including Palau, Mexico and Bonaire are doing the same.
- Some of these chemicals are known hormone/endocrine disruptors.( Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that can interfere with endocrine systems at certain doses. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. wiki )
- These active sunscreen chemicals have not been studied much, if at all.
- Many of our kids are medically complex, medically fragile, have different genetic makeup than the general public, and are on multiple medications. Is it dangerous? We just don’t know.
- Pediatrician Recommended: From the #1 pediatrician recommended sunscreen brand(2), this SPF 50 sunscreen stick is hypoallergenic and free from PABA, Dyes, and Oxybenzone
- Spot Protection: This Coppertone sunscreen stick is designed to provide convenient spot protection to exposed areas such as the ears, nose, and face
- Gentle on Skin: This Coppertone kids sunscreen stick delivers broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Water Resistant Sunscreen: This SPF 50 water resistant sunscreen stick (80 minutes) is perfect for family fun in the sun
- Includes one 0.49 ounce Coppertone Pure and Simple SPF 50 Kids Sunscreen Stick
- EltaMD UV Pure SPF 47 kids sunscreen lotion is made with chemical-free active ingredients for kids and adults who want effective, long lasting sun protection
- This product is non-sealed
- This kids mineral sunscreen with Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide reflects and scatters harsh UVA and UVB rays to help prevent sunburns and offer better sun protection for families
- Gentle kids sunscreen formula glides over wet or dry skin, rubs in quickly and is water resistant for up to 80 minutes, making this a great water resistant sunscreen for kids and adults
- Lightly rub in this oil free sunscreen for kids face and body and reapply often for all-around sun protection
- One 4 oz. bottle of Alba Botanica Tropical Fruit Kids SPF 45 Sunscreen
- Provides broad spectrum protection, is water resistant for up to 80 minutes and is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation
- Made with a lightweight, plant-based blend of botanical ingredients
- 100% vegetarian formula made without harsh ingredients like oxybenzone, octinoxate or gluten
- Always cruelty-free, never tested on animals; recognized by the Leaping Bunny Program
- 100% GOOD FOR YOU & YOUR FAMILY: A fast-absorbing, ultra-sheer & lightweight sunblock for delicate skin. Water resistant and perfect for babies, kids and adults alike.
- FORMULATED FOR VERY SENSITIVE SKIN: This sunscreen is specifically developed with 100% non-nano zinc to provide you with 80 minutes of water and sweat resistant coverage. Safe for baby and perfect for the entire family. Fragrance free.
- ZINC-BASED, MINERAL FORMULA: Specially formulated to naturally protect your skin from UVA and UVB rays, this sunblock is oxybenzone and octinoxate free. Enriched with Babo's organic Nutri-Soothe Complex. Reef friendly.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY. Reef Safe. No Oxybenzone. Mineral Based sunscreen.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS OR IRRITANTS: Hypoallergenic to reduce the risk of allergic reactions. Clinically tested and rated number #1 in safety by Environment Working Group (EWG). Gluten, soy, dairy, peanut, almond and walnut free. Made in USA and B Corp Certified.
- Pediatrician Recommended: From the #1 pediatrician recommended sunscreen brand(2), this Coppertone sunscreen is hypoallergenic and free of fragrance, dyes, PABA, octinoxate and oxybenzone
- Zinc Oxide Sunscreen: This Coppertone kids sunscreen is made with 100% naturally sourced Zinc Oxide, plus nourishing extracts (tea leaf, sea kelp, and lotus)
- Gentle Protection: Gentle sunscreen delivers Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Water Resistant: Coppertone water resistant sunscreen (80 minutes) is perfect for family fun in the sun
- One (1) 5 ounce bottle of Coppertone Pure and Simple Kids Spray Sunscreen
What sunscreen chemicals to avoid?
According to the website BanToxicSunscreens, these are the chemicals they say you should avoid. I’ve only read up on a few of them, but I am not using any sunscreen for my kids if it contains these chemicals. Especially Kevin, since he is on multiple medications for his seizure disorder.
- Cocamide DEA
- Propylene Glycol
When you purchase items from Amazon from this site, I receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting A Day in our Shoes.