Have you heard of Qwirkle? My son got it for Christmas a few years ago when he was 6. At the time, I thought it was just another board game. But wow, it has so many skills and benefits! Even some Alzheimer’s groups recommend this game. Finding that article gave me pause, that I should stop and think about this board game for Kevin, not just Brian. Qwirkle has many benefits and skills to be taught. It seems as if Qwirkle is the best bang for your buck if you are buying a board game, it just has so many great things about it.
What is Qwirkle? Well, it’s been described as a cross between dominoes and scrabble.
First, some tips on increasing cognitive benefits of board games. Ideally, you should play a variety of games, and focus on at least one game every day for the greatest benefit. If, for whatever reason, you do not find it practical to play brain games daily, you should play these games several times a week (minimum) to truly impact your brain. When you do play, spend a solid 15 -30 minutes of your attention focused on improving your cognitive skills.
Cognitive Benefits of board games like Qwirkle
This game has the potential to:
- significantly increase attention
- working memory
- speed of visual and auditory processing
- verbal fluency
- player does not need to know how to read
- rich saturated colors preferred by many people with vision impairments (CVI)
- multi-generational-kids as young as 5 or 6 can play, up to senior citizens
- Has won multiple awards from all kinds of parenting, educational and Alzheimer’s groups.
- Comes with lesson plans!
Skills taught/learned/reinforced by Qwirkle
- fine motor
- importance of strategizing
- strengthens language skills
- problem-solving skills
- adds mobility
- provides a social activity
- TACTICAL STRATEGY: Featuring a massive amount of in-game choices, including three tiles each of thirty-six possible color-symbol combinations, Qwirkle is the perfect game to hone player’s tactical maneuvers, strategical planning, and forward thinking. Will you see the monolithic move that catapults you into first place?
- EASY-TO-FOLLOW RULES: An engaging game with easy-to-follow rules, Qwirkle is great for younger players. The rules of the game are basic: simply build lines by matching tiles based on either color or shape, and score points for doing so. However, the ability to build complex combinations will keep children interested and engaged, and challenge them mentally.
- GAMES THAT TEACH: Qwirkle is playable from early ages up, allowing young children and older individuals alike to develop and hone their spacial recognition, planning, and problem solving skills.
Even if your player is only able to look at the tiles or line them up, in any order, at least they are thinking about which tile to choose and enjoying the shapes and colors and keeping those fingers moving.
Qwirkle Lesson Plans
Free printable Qwirkle Lesson Plan-Qwirkle Patterns
Free printable Qwirkle Lesson Plan-Qwirkle Sorting
Well, there you go! What else do I need to do to convince you that you need Qwirkle in your board game collection? Great gift idea and a great way to get the family together and off screens.
Pin it so you have it!
This has been a sponsored post done on behalf of Mindware board games. All opinions are my own.